Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Layout of a Standard RAF WW2 Airfield?

Article about: Hi, I have done a search on here but not found what I'm looking for, can anyone point me towards a site which details the standard or different layouts of a WW2 Raf Bomber Airfield, I am loo

?

Default Re: Layout of a Standard RAF WW2 Airfield?

Hi Tom123, Steve

Hows it going?

I used to serve at St Mawgan and lived at St Eval.
    The streets are named after coastal command or RAF Aircraft as as a lot of married quarters

I wrote a history of the unit an have some photos if you'd like to see them

Perce

Layout of a Standard RAF WW2 Airfield?Layout of a Standard RAF WW2 Airfield?

?

Hi Steve,

That's good to hear. I still live here and wanted to see if aerial photos of house were there. Sadly not in this picture. I've found that my street is on an older pic. Do you know which house was the station commanders?

I cannot find any record for Catalinas flying here, and it seems odd the street is named as such since it must have been one of the first here and those aircraft were rare at that time of the war.

The site is up for sale and I want to find history before some appalling development suddenly occurrs destroying everything.

I had a friend whose dad worked the nimrods, and lived here before I did. I wondered if you can remember anyone here in the '80s?

Interestingly we 've just been out for a walk and a drone was buzzing the site taking photos.

The modern era. We dont think there was an underground hospital at the time as I've seen a book with photos of hospital as a Nissan hut.

Quite a change is expected and a community is trying to keep it together.

Quote by perce View Post
    Hi Tom123, Steve

Hows it going?

I used to serve at St Mawgan and lived at St Eval.
    The streets are named after coastal command or RAF Aircraft as as a lot of married quarters

I wrote a history of the unit an have some photos if you'd like to see them

Perce

Layout of a Standard RAF WW2 Airfield?Layout of a Standard RAF WW2 Airfield?

?

Hi

I lived there from 2001 til 2007- Lancaster crescent
    I have some other pictures with the houses on- will try and scan them
    The officers quarters were Spitfire row as was the Spitfire club and the post office
    The RAF still do just use names of aircraft ad famous airmen or other unit- doesnt mean theyve- served there
    So they're selling the CDC area then?
    Cheers
    Perce

?

Hi Perce,

Yes they've been trying to sell that area. The Spitfire row was sold last year and we have some houses on Catalina sold. I don't know how long the rest will last for. Still a nice area.
    You were on the sports field side then?

We heard a rumour that developers were a bit cautious as they were worried what was under that. No plan yet but a lot of connections still to area. Its because mod still here that there hasn't been rampant development.

Thanks for looking at other photos, that would be good, before place changes.
    If you are over this way, the old USA buildings are now community rooms and the club has moved there.

Try 'The airfield information exchange' web site. It is a similar one to this one but its focus is RAF bases across the world. Its a good site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2