Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF

Article about: Lt Byron Bilderback wore this uniform while serving with the 27th Aero Squadron in France, 1918. Lt. Bilderback received his aviation training at Foggia, Italy and upon completion was shippe

Default Re: Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF

Terry & Rob-
    I just spoke with Alan Toelle & he would be very interested in any information you'd be willing to share with him on the 27th A.S. He was the editor of OTF I mentioned above.

Rob-
    Alan also wanted to know if you'd be willing to share more of that McCubbin diary with him.
    Alan has my utmost respect. He has been researching WWI Aviation well before I was even a twinkle in my Dad's eye. Alan is also a renowned expert on the SPAD & Breguet aircraft, with many published books & articles to his name. He mentioned he'd be more than willing to share data with you both if you should contact him. Please take this opportunity to email him directly. I know he'll be looking forward to hearing from you both, or from any other member who's willing to share information about the 27th Aero Squadron.
    Here is his email address (posted with his permission of course!):
    Alan Toelle: oldpaint@q.com

-Chuck

oldpaint
    ?

Terry, I have been doing intensive research on 27th Aero Squadron. I have seen a photo of Bilderback by Spad #19. Do you have any logbook, diary, photos, or documents that associate Bilderback with a particular airplane or airplanes?

Rob M. ramram, I am also very interested in your McCubbin diary. I am interested in any empirical information that will fit in the overall puzzle. Words, numbers, photos, etc., can break loose riddles and correlate with other information on the 27th AS.

I am interested in corresponding by email.

Alan Toelle

Quote by oldpaint View Post
    Terry, I have been doing intensive research on 27th Aero Squadron. I have seen a photo of Bilderback by Spad #19. Do you have any logbook, diary, photos, or documents that associate Bilderback with a particular airplane or airplanes?

Rob M. ramram, I am also very interested in your McCubbin diary. I am interested in any empirical information that will fit in the overall puzzle. Words, numbers, photos, etc., can break loose riddles and correlate with other information on the 27th AS.

Alan Toelle
    Hello Alan,

Good to see you here. though I do not know you personally, Chuck speaks very highly of you, and that is all that I need to hear. I hope you will continue to post and share your knowledge as we all enjoy learning from others who have years in this beloved area of collecting and research. Welcome to the forum!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Alan Toelle

Alan,
    I have about 23 documents over and above the pictures of his uniform, wings etc in this posting. You can contact me at maj191@yahoo.com and let me know what you need.

Terry

?

Would be glad to share info that is helpful. Unfortunately, it's a small diary and McCubbin is not very wordie.

Rob

Quote by ramram View Post
    Would be glad to share info that is helpful. Unfortunately, it's a small diary and McCubbin is not very wordie.

Rob
    Rob-

No problem! Please drop Alan a line to the address I posted above. I know he'll appreciate hearing from you, regardless of the diary limitations.
    -Chuck

?

I've managed to transcribe some of the McCubbin diary (see below) since the images I provided were not very good.

Rob

P.S. Chuck - Thanks for the contact with Alan. He's supplied me with a great amount of background on the 27th Aero. I've been passing on much of McCubbin's material so hopefully it will help him fill some holes. (BTW, did you receive my PM?).

Nov. 1 – “I don’t remember whether I went on a patrol or not [he apparently is writing this a couple of days later and is a little foggy after some eventful occurrences]. I think our big push starts today but it was too misty if I remember right, to send anyone up. I tested out one of the planes which had just been fixed.”

Nov. 2 – “Went on patrol at 9:45 but got lost in the rain and went into Germany. While running from archies I dove on a hun balloon & set it on fire. Fired 155 rounds. Didn’t know which direction to go so went straight ahead & finally landed at Boureq[?] the 9th French Army H.Q. Badly shot up.”

Nov. 3 – “Returned from French balloon at Boureq[?] at 1:30. Got assistance from French Spad 21st Sqdn at Cauroy[?]. Rested up for the rest of the day. They had me reported as missing and were badly worried. This makes my 6th forced landing.”

Nov. 4 – “Went on patrol at 3 pm after a short trial flight with a new motor. Dawson, Baily & Rowland dove on a Hun biplace and shot it down. I came home shortly afterward with motor trouble. Bilderback had to land in the shell holes a Montfaucon & crashed. Austria has quit.”

Nov. 9 – “Rained all day. No news as yet from Berlin. I got my balloon confirmed today. The treats are on me. Went into Bar le Duc and had a hot shower and bought some service stripes. Stout and McKimmon returned today for a visit. Got 2 letters from Beanie written from S.F. in Sept. Am in Bar le Duc now.”

Nov. 10 – “We were inspected by Col. Milling this am after Rickenbacker & 2 others got decorated. Started on a patrol but H2O leak so came back. Germany signed armistice tonight. The whole front is going crazy by the sound of the guns and the flares around the horizon.”

Nov. 11 – “Guns going full blast over toward Metz. 2nd Army advancing until 11 am when all guns ceased. I started to patrol but had motor trouble. Had my picture taken. Can’t seem to realize that I have nothing to do and the quiet of peace seems strange. Boys all got on a drunk and raised h---.”

Photo of McCubbin:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eugene Lloyd McCubbin.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	77984

Rob-
    You're welcome. That was kind of you to share the diary with Alan & for posting excerpts here. I hope it works out for the both of you. Maybe you'll both fills the gaps in your records of the 27th A.S.

I got your PM & will reply once I'm done here.

-Chuck

Alan Toelle
    Alan,
    Just sent out 41 copies of documents and a couple pictures. I hope there is something in there you can use. The mostly cover assignments, rosters etc. If I can be of further help let me know.
    Terry

I had forgotten this trunk, had it covered up and when I started to look for Bilderbacks paperwork it struck me that that would be in his trunk. Being lazy I just took a shot of the top and top shelf. The bottom also contains a lot of personal items like flying scarf, belts, extra buttons, german coins, officers personal leather writing case etc. The documentation he had includes the initial telegram telling him he was accepted for flight training to his discharge in 1919. In between are all his assignments, appointments, shipping orders etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilderback Trunk 001.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	78544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilderback Trunk 002.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	78545  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast