Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore

Article about: As per Steve's request here is the uniform of Ashmore. He was very small and his nickname was 'splashmore' because if he was larger he would splashmore. When the Germans began bombing London

Default LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore

As per Steve's request here is the uniform of Ashmore. He was very small and his nickname was 'splashmore' because if he was
    larger he would splashmore. When the Germans began bombing London with the Gotha's and Zeppelins he was called back from the front and tasked with stopping the attacks. He founded the Royal Observer Corps and designed the techniques used to intercept enemy aircraft. He also designed the filter room which was used during WWI and more famously during the Battle of Britain. When WWII began all Dowding had to do was plug the radar systems into the WWI system and he was up and running.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore   LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore  

LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore   LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore  

LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore   LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore  

LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore  

Default Re: LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore

Gary,

Fantastic...what a historic group! It never ceases to amaze me how small in stature most of these guys were back them. I know nothing about British Medals...do you know what the branch on the VM indicates?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: LT. General Sir Edward Ashmore

Hi Steven,

The leaf indicates the wearer was Mentioned In Despatches. There were 141,082 MID's between 1914 and 1920. 1,590 of those were for "Home Service Mentions"

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Steven M View Post
    Gary,

Fantastic...what a historic group! It never ceases to amaze me how small in stature most of these guys were back them. I know nothing about British Medals...do you know what the branch on the VM indicates?