Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron

Article about: Here is a wonderful grouping that I recently had the privilege to add to my collection. I would like to thank Tom (Croix de Guerre) for not only letting me wrestle this away from him, but al

Default Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron

Here is a wonderful grouping that I recently had the privilege to add to my collection. I would like to thank Tom (Croix de Guerre) for not only letting me wrestle this away from him, but also for the great follow up and research that he put into the grouping. The three-ring binder is full of good information and provenance that adds a lot to this group.

Fortunately, some of the items auctioned separately through Manions were tracked down and reunited with the group. The items are:

Croix de Guerre medal, Victory Medal, American Legion Veteran Medal, and the missing 'US' collar insignia from the tunic.

Howard C. Eales was born on July 27, 1891 in Weldon, Iowa to Carl and Hannah Eales, and had three other siblings. Eales attended Iowa State College prior to the Great War.

Here is a brief synopsis of Lt. Eales Military service:

Private, Iowa National Guard; Pilot USAS, AEF 1918; Observer, French Escadrille 120, March to October 1918, Pilot 91st. Aero Squadron, US Army of Occupation, Coblenz, Germany 1919.

Decorations/Awards: Croix de Guerre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron   Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron

Here is a close up of the wing on the tunic. You will notice where the CdG ribbon bar with the bar bell ends once was affixed to the uniform. Sadly, it is probably lost to history now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron

The binder containing many newspaper articles, photos, and archival copies of documents related to Eales.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt. Howard Carl Eales Grouping, Pilot, Observer - WW I, French Escadrille 120 & US 91st. Aero Squadron  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Original period copy of:

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Croix de Guerre Citation

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Harry Block kept in touch with Howard and his wife Vesta even after he obtained the grouping from him and it appears that they became fairly close acquaintances. Here is a card from Howard to Harry featuring one of his beloved pelican images.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Very nice to have these pieces re-united with the tunic. The 'US' collar device I mentioned earlier is back on the tunic where it belongs.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

This is kind of neat to have.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I arranged some of the photos and letter from Eales in a collage.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Nice group shot. Howard is in the back row, far left. BTW...take a look at the size of the guy seated in the center front...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast