Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO

Article about: Nice one Cheers, Ade.

?

Default LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO

Victor M. Hasselman was born in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1885. He was born to an upper class family listed in Dau's blue book. The blue book contained "….selected names of Indianapolis and suburban towns: containing the names and addresses of prominent residents, arranged alphabetically and numerically by streets, also ladies' maiden names, receiving days, and other valuable social information".

In 1915 he enlisted into a Battery A of the Field Artillery Battalion, Indiana National Guard and was part of the troops called up to guard the US/Mexican border against the incursions of Pancho Villa. In June of 1916, he was promoted to Sergeant.

After America's entry into the War, Hasselman's National Guard unit, renamed as the 150th Field Artillery was assigned to the 42nd Division.

Hasselman, now an officer was assigned as an aerial observer. From his letters, I don't think he volunteered. Unlike many of the stories that you read about the glamour of flying, Hasselman doesn't seem to have cared for it. In his letters, he writes about his desire to return to the artillery. However, I believe he could have gotten out of his assignment as he wore glasses. Also he is not enamered with the pilots, writting that it is the observers that do all of the work and the pilots just drive them around.

Hasselman's assignments included an orientation assignment with a French squadron. His letters refers to a photo that he sent home of him in his "cork and leather helmet & "fur lined" pajamas"
    He then serves with the 1st aero squadron, 88th aero squadron and finally assigned to the 6th Corps as the Adjutant of the 6th Corps Observation Group.

The grouping I have includes an unofficial log book, equipment stencil, promotion documents and around 20+ letters home. This was an eBay purchase several years ago, that I was quite pleased to win. Here are his flight log, and a few examples of his letters
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO   LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO  

LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO   LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO  

?

Default Re: LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO

Here is the stencil and an article on Hasselman returning home.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO   LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO  

?

Hasselman was also identified as the stay behind officer to destroy every piece of equipment in the event that the army was unable to stop the German advance in July 1918. These images are from Gorrell's.

?

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Victor M. Hasselman was born in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1885. He was born to an upper class family listed in Dau's blue book. The blue book contained "….selected names of Indianapolis and suburban towns: containing the names and addresses of prominent residents, arranged alphabetically and numerically by streets, also ladies' maiden names, receiving days, and other valuable social information".

In 1915 he enlisted into a Battery A of the Field Artillery Battalion, Indiana National Guard and was part of the troops called up to guard the US/Mexican border against the incursions of Pancho Villa. In June of 1916, he was promoted to Sergeant.

After America's entry into the War, Hasselman's National Guard unit, renamed as the 150th Field Artillery was assigned to the 42nd Division.

Hasselman, now an officer was assigned as an aerial observer. From his letters, I don't think he volunteered. Unlike many of the stories that you read about the glamour of flying, Hasselman doesn't seem to have cared for it. In his letters, he writes about his desire to return to the artillery. However, I believe he could have gotten out of his assignment as he wore glasses. Also he is not enamered with the pilots, writting that it is the observers that do all of the work and the pilots just drive them around.

Hasselman's assignments included an orientation assignment with a French squadron. His letters refers to a photo that he sent home of him in his "cork and leather helmet & "fur lined" pajamas"
    He then serves with the 1st aero squadron, 88th aero squadron and finally assigned to the 6th Corps as the Adjutant of the 6th Corps Observation Group.

The grouping I have includes an unofficial log book, equipment stencil, promotion documents and around 20+ letters home. This was an eBay purchase several years ago, that I was quite pleased to win. Here are his flight log, and a few examples of his letters

Although this post has met with the sound of crickets chirpping, I'll add some details anyway.

McClendon is Joel H. McClendon who was killed in action on August 11, 1918. The following is from the DSC citation for Phillip R. Babcock, a pilot with the 88th who was flying on the same mission where McClendon was killed.

"Louis G. Bernheimer, first lieutenant, pilot ; John W. Jordan, second lieutenant, 7th Field Artillery, observer; Roger W. Hitchcock, second lieutenant, pilot; James S. D. Burns, deceased, second lieutenant, 165th Infantry, observer ; Joel H. McClenaon, deceased, first lieutenant, pilot; Charles W. Plummer, deceased, second lieutenant, 101st Field Artillery, observer; Philip R. Babcock, first lieutenant, pilot; and Joseph A. Palmer, second lieutenant. 15th Field Artillery, observer. All of these men were attached to the 88th Aero Squadron. Air Service.

"Philip R. Babcock, first lieutenant, pilot, 88th Aero Squadron, Air Service. Connected with following consolidated citation:

For extraordinary heroism in action near Fismes, France, August 11, 1918. Under the protection of three pursuit planes, each carrying a pilot and an observer, Lieuts. Bernheimer and Jordan, in charge of a photo plane, carried out successfully a hazardous photographic mission over the enemy's lines to the River Alsne. The four American ships were attacked by 12 enemy battle planes. Lieut. Bernheimer, by coolly and skillfully maneuvering his ship, and Lieut. Jordan, by accurate operation of his machine gun, in spite of wounds in the shoulder and leg, aided materially in the victory which came to the American ships, and returned safely with 36 valuable photographs. The pursuit plane operated by Lieuts. Hitchcock and Burns was disabled while these two officers were fighting effectively. Lieut. Burns was mortally wounded and his body jammed the controls. After a headlong fall of 2,500 meters, Lieut. Hitchcock succeeded in regaining control of this plane and piloted it back to his airdrome. Lieuts. McClendon and Plummer were shot down and killed after a vigorous combat with five of the enemy's planes. Lieuts. Babcock and Palmer, by gallant and skillful fighting, aided in driving off the German planes and were materially responsible for the successful execution of the photographic mission. .Residence at appointment: Litchfield, Conn."

McCordic is Fletcher Ladd McCordic
    McCordic is listed as the last casualty of the 88th Aero Squadron having died in an flying accident, test flying a German Fokker, in March of 1919. The following is a memorial for McCordic

Fletcher Ladd McCordic, 1st Lieut ... - Google Books

I don't know about anyone else but I will say "Thanks!" for sharing the Hasselman collection with the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to add such details & links to your thread. You have done your small part in preserving his contribution to USAAS history.

Quote by CThomas View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I will say "Thanks!" for sharing the Hasselman collection with the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to add such details & links to your thread. You have done your small part in preserving his contribution to USAAS history.
    Erick,

I agree with Chucky on all points. I don't think a lot of viewers realize how much actually goes in to making a quality posting with solid information, references, and great images.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Thanks guys for the kind words. I figured it got buried by some of the other posts as the avaition section seems to be getting more and more attention!

Unfortunetly, posting this type of grouping doesn't display well on a forum. No uniform to look at or even interesting photos. However, the content of the letters and the service this artilleryman/aviator performed is simply fascinating to me! By the way, if anyone would like to see more images of the letters, let me know and will post some that are actually large enough to read!

On a side note, to get a little more background on Haasselman's family, go to The Nature Conservancy in Indiana - JWN - Pine Hills Nature Preserve and scroll down to the section titled:
    Murder and Mad Hermits: Ghastly Legends of Pine Hills These are Victor's brothers. Lawrence came to live with Victor and his mother in the 1930s . Imagine what that household was like!

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Unfortunetly, posting this type of grouping doesn't display well on a forum. No uniform to look at or even interesting photos. However, the content of the letters and the service this artilleryman/aviator performed is simply fascinating to me!
    I sincerely believe that reading is becoming a lost art amongst collectors...but not conservators and historians. I have found some incredible information relating to aviation in small, obscure references, letters and books that don't have fancy covers or flashy photos.

Keep posting away Erick, as there are those here that do thoroughly enjoy your heart-felt postings, and as time goes on, I am sure that the traffic will increase here even more.

I find that aviation collectors are for the most part, well-read individuals so the lack of replies is most likely attributable to the fact that this section is just growing out of its infancy...we'll be "all growed up" one day and have more and more postings and replies. It is just going to take some time.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

b1wso
    ?

BEAST,

I'm Maj Scott Mansfield. I am in the 436th Training Squadron at Dyess AFB, Abilene, TX and I have been doing some research on our Squadron's history. The 436 TS originated as the 88 Aero Squadron during WWI. I came across this forum with your post on Lt Hasselman and was wondering if there is any way to get copies of Lt Hasselman's personal effects and correspondence that you acquired? Lt Hasselman's story would make a great addition to the rich history of the 436 TS.

Respectfully,

Maj Scott "Francis" Mansfield
    B-1B Weapon Systems Officer
    436 TS Assistant Director of Operations

?

Scott, Sure, I can make copies for your squadron. I will send an email to you later today.

Quote by b1wso View Post
    BEAST,

I'm Maj Scott Mansfield. I am in the 436th Training Squadron at Dyess AFB, Abilene, TX and I have been doing some research on our Squadron's history. The 436 TS originated as the 88 Aero Squadron during WWI. I came across this forum with your post on Lt Hasselman and was wondering if there is any way to get copies of Lt Hasselman's personal effects and correspondence that you acquired? Lt Hasselman's story would make a great addition to the rich history of the 436 TS.

Respectfully,

Maj Scott "Francis" Mansfield
    B-1B Weapon Systems Officer
    436 TS Assistant Director of Operations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast