Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Article about: As my first posting in the newly created Aviation Forum, I would like to introduce you all to Major Harry L. Wingate. This grouping highlights the contribution of the unsung heroes of WWI av

?

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

This is such a thoroughly complete grouping and you really couldn't ask for much more other than to maybe have Major Wingate himself, there with you! Of course maybe your feeling a little like he's there right now when you get around his stuff.

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Quote by Bugme View Post
    This is such a thoroughly complete grouping and you really couldn't ask for much more other than to maybe have Major Wingate himself, there with you! Of course maybe your feeling a little like he's there right now when you get around his stuff.
    I really do feel that way Scott. Maybe one day we will meet "on the other side".
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve, did you ever finish up Wingates display or did I miss it?

Quote by Bugme View Post
    Steve, did you ever finish up Wingates display or did I miss it?
    Hi ya Scotty,

No, I am still trying to get the house back in order. However, on a related note, Chuck found a photo of Wingate in Over the Front Magazine with an Italian Princess from June of 1918 that has given me another avenue of research to pursue. Hmmmmm...a pilot and a princess...this could prove quite interesting.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Hi ya Scotty,

No, I am still trying to get the house back in order. However, on a related note, Chuck found a photo of Wingate in Over the Front Magazine with an Italian Princess from June of 1918 that has given me another avenue of research to pursue. Hmmmmm...a pilot and a princess...this could prove quite interesting.
    A pilot with a princess??? Now that has almost a movie like appeal to it! Do you have the picture?

Quote by Bugme View Post
    A pilot with a princess??? Now that has almost a movie like appeal to it! Do you have the picture?
    Hi Scotty,

The photo was published in "Over the Front" magazine, which I have on back order.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Since Maj. Wingate was my very first aviation group, I guess I have taken a liking to the 3rd. AIC. Since then, I have tried to track down any piece of information relating to that location. The following photos are not part of the Wingate grouping, however, I think they fit quite nicely here.

Click on photos to enlarge, they are fairly high res.

Here is a photo of the 3rd. AIC Band at Issoudun.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is a nice shot of Field 8 where the Major trained students in the art of tactical aerobatics. As a side note, Frank Luke and Eddie Rickenbacker were some of the first pilots to pass through this facility.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

An accolade from the French for the work and contribution of the 3rd. AIC.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Note the reference to the 3rd. AIC at the lower left. What a shame we have lost the ability to recognize the enemy for what they truly are, instead of being concerned with hurting their feelings. Note the statement "If hostilities should be resumed, this evil will be remedied." How I would love to have an original one of these...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast