Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Article about: As my first posting in the newly created Aviation Forum, I would like to introduce you all to Major Harry L. Wingate. This grouping highlights the contribution of the unsung heroes of WWI av

Wingate
    ?

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Quote by peribeca View Post
    awesome grouping.........very touching......thank you for preserving and sharing!

Lou
    Major Wingate was my grandfather, and you have indeed done a wonderful job assembling paraphernalia and information on this man. He was a giant, physically and figuratively, and though humble of his contributions, they were enormous. He had three sons who served as fliers in WWII, one who died as captain of a B-17 (for whom I am named), and one who was the lead navigator on the largest bombing run on Germany. I would love to be in touch with you, as I have so many more papers and all of his photos (including some you have, with Pershing). Thank you for your hard work and a wonderful show! Wingate Downs, WingateD@aol.com

?

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Quote by Wingate View Post
    Major Wingate was my grandfather, and you have indeed done a wonderful job assembling paraphernalia and information on this man. He was a giant, physically and figuratively, and though humble of his contributions, they were enormous. He had three sons who served as fliers in WWII, one who died as captain of a B-17 (for whom I am named), and one who was the lead navigator on the largest bombing run on Germany. I would love to be in touch with you, as I have so many more papers and all of his photos (including some you have, with Pershing). Thank you for your hard work and a wonderful show! Wingate Downs, WingateD@aol.com
    Wow, what a small world! Steve will be thrilled to get this information from you to help preserve your relatives history!

Wow.....I don't even know what to say. Not in a million years would I have expected to see the name "Wingate" as a screen name in reply. This is amazing! It is an honor to make contact with a relative of a man that I feel as though I knew personally through my study and research.

I have had the pleasure of caring for your grandfather's items for several years now and I still feel a sense of awe and reverence every time that I look at and touch his belongings. I have basically built my aviation collection around his group and his accomplishments in my mind, represent the very essence of what a true American hero is.

I would indeed love to correspond with you by mail and hopefully in conversation by phone as well. Wow...
    Last edited by Steven M; 02-06-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

He had three sons who served as fliers in WWII, one who died as captain of a B-17 (for whom I am named), and one who was the lead navigator on the largest bombing run on Germany. WingateD@aol.com

Dear Sir,

Here is a photo of the grave of H.L.W jr. that I researched through Findagrave.com. I have always wondered if this related to the photo below of a B-17 that came with the group. Maybe you know if the B17 photo corresponds to the Captain who lost his life in service, or if it relates to you relative who was the lead Navigator... It has been a while since I tried to follow the lead on the tail number of this plane, and if I remember correctly, I could find nothing in the files for aircraft incident reporting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    Attached Images Attached Images Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Wingate
    ?

This is Caitlin Downs, Wingate's daughter. He has just showed me this page and it is incredible. I know you've already heard from Ruth and Wingate, but I just wanted to get on and let you know that the whole family is buzzing about this! We're excited to stay in touch with you and send you some pictures and information to add to your collection. Speaking from personal experience growing up in this family, I can say that what you've done means so much to us. Our family's military history is something that we're all very proud of and always looking for more information about. Thank you so much for the care with which you've put all of this together, and for taking such an interest in someone who means so much to all of us!

This is Caitlin Downs, Wingate's daughter. He has just showed me this page and it is incredible. I know you've already heard from Ruth and Wingate, but I just wanted to get on and let you know that the whole family is buzzing about this! We're excited to stay in touch with you and send you some pictures and information to add to your collection. Speaking from personal experience growing up in this family, I can say that what you've done means so much to us. Our family's military history is something that we're all very proud of and always looking for more information about. Thank you so much for the care with which you've put all of this together, and for taking such an interest in someone who means so much to all of us!
    Mrs. Downs,

My absolute surprise over this has me still buzzing as well. I have found thus far in our brief correspondence, that the same spirit which the Major had, is still alive and well in his offspring. I feel as if the Major is a part of the family, that may sound strange to some, but my research into the aviators belongings that I care for, makes it personal.

The objects themselves are mere cloth and metal, but knowing about the person who wore them makes it personal in a most fulfilling way. For this reason, I do not pursue items for my collection which are unattributed. Every time I read about what individuals like your great grandfather did, I get both a sense of extreme pride and astonishment that anyone could even survive getting off of the ground in one of those flying coffins.

I thank you most sincerely for your generous offer to share more information, I am grateful beyond words. Feel free to contact me at any time, now and in the future. I have provided my phone number in my last e-mail.

Most humble thanks to you all...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here are a few more shots of how I displayed the Major's belongings about a year or so ago.

I just finished a total remodel of my study, and I am in the process or rearrangement of my items. When I finish the Major's display area, I will post an updated photo for you all to see. For now...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France   Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Some close ups of the contents. You probably can't see it in the photo, but I painted the Major's tail number of the plane he used as an instructor on the metal plane in the display. The binder in the second photo next to the 8X10 on the right is something I put together to hold some of the documents that came with the group, as well as printouts from the web on other information I found.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France   Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve,

This is just wonderful! - I'm very happy for you. Glad you have the Wingate group. Couldn't be in better hands!!

Good Job,
    Dennis

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Steve,

This is just wonderful! - I'm very happy for you. Glad you have the Wingate group. Couldn't be in better hands!!

Good Job,
    Dennis

Dennis,

Many thanks! I am very happy to see your post here...been a long time my friend.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast