Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Article about: As my first posting in the newly created Aviation Forum, I would like to introduce you all to Major Harry L. Wingate. This grouping highlights the contribution of the unsung heroes of WWI av

Arrow Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

As my first posting in the newly created Aviation Forum, I would like to introduce you all to Major Harry L. Wingate. This grouping highlights the contribution of the unsung heroes of WWI aviation - the Instructor Pilots. The provenance is indisputable and the contents is quite interesting. I hope you all enjoy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    Last edited by Steven M; 02-08-2010 at 01:35 AM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Some of the other items...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

The below details (in part) are from the newspaper clipping seen here. I am posting some highlights of the article as it is may be hard to read for some here.

Harry Lynwood Wingate Sr. was born in 1894 in the Hopeful community, Georgia. On July 15, 1920 he married Miss Ruth Spence who was once Pelham County's "Citizen of the Year". In the early years after the Great War, "The Major" (6 ft. 2 3/4 in. in height), as he was affectionately called, was active in farming and politics. He Served the county as a representative in the Georgia Legislature from 1920-22, and from 1934-41, he was postmaster for the Pelham Post Office, resigning this position when he became President of Georgia Farm Bureau, serving in that capacity until 1958. He was a graduate of the University of Georgia, class of 1917, entering service on MAy 11, 1917. He served overseas from November 2, 1917 to May 24, 1919 where he taught stunt flying to pilots going to the front to engage the enemy. After the signing of the Armistice, he was in charge of dismantling Issoudun Field and was discharged from service June 16, 1919 at Ft. Oglethorpe, GA. as a Major, Air Service.

He did not see combat as the Armistice was signed just as he was to be assigned to an aero squadron at the front. This is no way diminished his contribution to the war effort. According to a Georgia newspaper write-up in the 1930's, he was credited with training 75% of the pilots who fought in WWI...amazing (my own word).

The Major loved his tobacco pipe, was a man of strong faith, was a wonderful father, an understanding loyal husband, and a faithful friend.

Now to the shots of the group. There are a lot of individual pieces, so please bear with me. I am not planning to feature photos of every stitch and thread of the jacket as in this case, there really is no need. However, if you want to see something in particular pertaining to any item that I have not shown in detail, please ask. I will start with the uniform of our subject, documents, photos, and finally, the wings and a little surprise not shown in the original layout photos that I began with to end the thread

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is the label of the maker of the uniform.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France   Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  

Last edited by Steven M; 08-18-2009 at 01:37 AM.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

This tunic is of exceptional quality gabardine wool, and quite heavy in hand.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The breeches...very nice with little wear.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Bullion Major rank. The detail is exquisite...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A note on the US and aviation props, all are matching, and they all have the same degree of very light green verdigris on the reverse, as well as the contact points on the collar.

Aviation branch insignia. The set is matching and props are marked sterling.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Overseas service...18 months.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The notice of interment. I still need to work on getting a photo of the Major's grave in the near future.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast