Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Messerschmitt Me 262 Aces

Article about: Watching Red Tails I wondered who the top scoring 262 Ace was. After researcing the jury seems to be out ! Who do you guys think ? Hauptmann Franz Schall Oberleutnant Kurt Welter Oberleutnan

Default Messerschmitt Me 262 Aces

Watching Red Tails I wondered who the top scoring 262 Ace was.

After researcing the jury seems to be out !

Who do you guys think ?

Hauptmann Franz Schall
    Oberleutnant Kurt Welter
    Oberleutnant Heinrich Bär

or someone else ?

What an awesome aircraft by the way !

I have seen the one in the museum at Speyer in Germany and the beauty at Cosford!

It was my fave plastic model too, I loved building and painting them

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: Messerschmitt Me 262 Aces

Hi Nick,here`s a list I found,it may or may not be accurate,I actually sat in a 262 at Downsview ontario airport after they had one brought there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Messerschmitt Me 262 Aces  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Wow! Lucky you! How did it feel?

Thanks for the stats

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That must I been a great experience to sit in one of them.
    You are very lucky.
    chris

?

They used to allow model airplane meets to be held on the runways,this was around 1950,I wandered into one of the hangers and asked if I could sit in it,he said OK!! All I can remember about it was playing with the gunsight,I was 15 at the time and it was really neat. Here`s a pic I found on the `net of when they were shipping it out to somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images Messerschmitt Me 262 Aces 
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Here's a bit of info about Pete's 'Sturmvogel'.

"Me 262A-1 (Werk Nummer 500210), AM 52, coded Yellow 17 of I./JG 7, surrendered at Fassberg and was taken over by No. 616 Squadron, RAF. It was flown to Lübeck on 29 May 1945, and then ferried to Schleswig and on to Farnborough on 9 June 1945. It was allocated RAF Serial No. VH509 on 14 June, and made at least one test flight in July at Brize Norton. AM 52 was shipped to Canada from Ellesmere Port on board the SS Manchester Shipper on 23 August 1946, arriving at Montréal on 1 September."

It's interesting for me that this aircraft was from the same unit and airfield as the Cosford example of which I have sat in and worked on many times over previous years. The one that Pete sat in was apparently bulldozed and buried on the airfield somewhere at Downsview in around 1954-5.

Perhaps someone ought to give David Cundall a ring.....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys, that is so interesting

Ned, do you have any close up shots at all ?

Nick

?

Thank you Ned!
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Thanks guys, that is so interesting

Ned, do you have any close up shots at all ?

Nick
    Sorry Nick no. And I won't have any soon as Hendon snatched it back a few years ago along with the P-47, B-24, Kawasaki K-100 and Hawker Hind as well.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Red Tails, interesting movie......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast