Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

My Flying Helmet Collection

Article about: Hey guys i thought i would post some of my flying Helmets for you First up is a early B Typre Next is a Type C with G type oxygen radio mask This is a Chinese Mig 15 Pilots Helmet A G Type c

Just to put a little back into the thread here's a few pictures from early this year when myself and the family visited hack green a former cold war nuclear bunker in cheshire ,england ,which is now open daily as a museum ,just to show a few flight helmets /suits for your viewing pleasureMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet Collection

?

One of are regular customers that come in to the shop i work at has his Dads flying helmet. His Dad was a royal navy navigator and was involved in the attack on the french fleet at Mers-el-Kébir. He has his helmet and the original box with his name and rank on it. I think he said that he flow Blackburn Skua. Him and his family apparently don't what it and the guy keeps asking me if i what it and of course i say yes the next time he comes in he asks me again do i want it. One day i'll hopefully get it

[QUOTE=James C;1527930]Just to put a little back into the thread here's a few pictures from early this year when myself and the family visited hack green a former cold war nuclear bunker in cheshire ,england ,which is now open daily as a museum ,just to show a few flight helmets /suits for your viewing pleasure]

Thanks for the photos, James. Looks like my kind of museum.
    The mannequin on the Martin Baker seat has a realistic pose - good to see.

Cheers, Willie.

Your welcome willie here is an interesting clip from syria showing the flight helmet still in use in its contemporary soviet war plane Inside Syrian Airbase – SyAAF MiG-21, MiG-23 and Short Interviews with Syrian Pilots |

?

Interesting clip James, they are certainly Museum pieces , but what really surprised me was the condition of them , they were flying rust buckets how they stayed together is a real surprise.

Cheers
    Greg

i agree greg ,brave men to fly such a vintage jet in anger ,im really pleased to find a set of these soviet modernised flight goggles or bug eye's as ive heard them called ,the lenses are glass and can be easily interchangable tinted or clear ,i was lucky to find a set locally here in the uk ,my only other option was to buy out of the ukraine these are dated 1988 so fit in well timeframe wise with the throatmikes and mask ,im really pleased how its all comming together and makes for one fine display
    just need to source the inflatable bag once i can save up enough pennies thanks jamesMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet Collection

The PO-1M goggles have had a long life span. I seem to remember seeing photos of Korean war pilots wearing them ( oops, I forgot - the Russians weren't there, were they).

Cheers, Willie.

?

Cool

Hello Chaps. I managed to pick up another C Type helmet the other day. This one originally had Gossport Tubes fitted to it for use in a Tiger moth, i had a spare set of C Type earphones and replaced them and added a H Type radio mask
    My Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet Collection

Cheers
    Greg

?

In London there is an open market called Petticoat Lane,during the early 60s there were quite a few stalls which sold militaria, but I remember one stall that sold nothing but flight equipment from both world wars, he had numerous leather flying caps with masks and mic attachment and I think one of the most expensive items was about £5.00, I wish my dad had bought me some of those but it was a lot of money in those days I do recall a German pilots headgear going for 30 bob, but no-one was really interested then

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    In London there is an open market called Petticoat Lane,during the early 60s there were quite a few stalls which sold militaria, but I remember one stall that sold nothing but flight equipment from both world wars, he had numerous leather flying caps with masks and mic attachment and I think one of the most expensive items was about £5.00, I wish my dad had bought me some of those but it was a lot of money in those days I do recall a German pilots headgear going for 30 bob, but no-one was really interested then
    Yes they were the Days there were a lot more of them back then,its a different story now .

Cheers
    Greg

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast