Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

My Flying Helmet Collection

Article about: Hey guys i thought i would post some of my flying Helmets for you First up is a early B Typre Next is a Type C with G type oxygen radio mask This is a Chinese Mig 15 Pilots Helmet A G Type c

Quote by willie45 View Post
    Another APH-5; this one has the leather tab and stud mask attatchment and boom mike. I don't have a mask for it. Going by the name inside the helmet, I'm assuming it's a USMC helmet, but there possibly might have been a Navy pilot by the same name.

Attachment 731040

These were real neck-breakers.

Attachment 731041

Here's the Soviet counterpart from the same time frame, circa 1961.

ZSh-3M duralumin hard shell, ShL-61 leather communication helmet, LA-5 throat microphone, early model KM-32 pressure demand mask and pressure compensating occipital bladder. In the early 60's this setup was technologically superior to the APH-5 by a long way.

Inner helmet on left - ShZ-61 winter helmet, and complete with hard shell on right.

Attachment 731042

Side view shows the pressure compensating line from the mask to the occipital bladder at the rear of the helmet.

Attachment 731043

3 position visor in fully down position.

Attachment 731044

Cheers, Willie.
    Some superb examples greg and willy ,can i ask about shz 61 ,is it possible to pinpoint what aircraft and model types it was used in ,migs /sukhoi's etc ,ive recently picked up a similar flight helmet
    regards james

?

G;day James. I am not sure on the Russian stuff Mate, sorry i cant help you on this one.Willy may be of some help on this.

Cheers
    Greg

Hello James,
    The ShZ/ShL-61 was used in just about everything from 1961 onwards, in various combinations.

Combined with the ZSh-3 hard shell, it was the primary fast jet helmet for a long time, starting around the MiG-21 era. Also, it would have been retro used with the hard shell in the older aircraft that preceeded the helmet, eg. the MiG-17, MiG-19 and the corresponding Sukhois.

Worn on it's own, it was used in all helicopters and also in bomber crews of that era. The same type is still used on those aircraft today, although most of the attack type helicopters use the ZSh-7V hard helmet.

Also used by ground crew and technicians as a sound protection/communication helmet when working directly on the aircraft, preflight etc.. I've even seen photos of paratroops cutting the comm leads off and using them, but that's not common.

The ZSh-3 hard shell/ ShL or Z leather helmet combo was followed by the ZSh-5, some say introduced in the late sixties. The ZSh-5 didn't really replace it entirely, and some helicopters still use the older setup.

So basically, it could have been used in most fast jets from the early sixties through the seventies, and as a stand alone leather helmet, all choppers and most bombers of the same period.

The ShL/ShZ-61 series didn't have the designation marked on the tag. The next model, the ShL/ShZ-78 was the first to have the designation written on the labels. All ShZ-61 helmets had the top oxygen mask attachment strap running full length underneath the crown pad and anchored at the rear of the helmet. The later ShL-78 and ShL-82 had a shorter strap located entirely in front of the crown pad.I think from memory, some earlier ShZ-61 winter helmets had the dog fur lining, with the later ones having lambswool. It was a long running model of helmet, from 1961 to 1978 production.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Willie.

Great thread, excellent info and gorgeous helmets.
    I am not 'up' on any of the modern stuff and
    never got into the hard shell types, but
    these all look fabulous to me.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Just to say thank you greg for replying and your honesty mate i too haven't a clue about soviet fast jet helmets im more a ground troops helmet collector and i could see this becoming a very expensive hobby if i was to start on flight helmets ,
    many thanks willie you really know your stuff you have answered all my questions on this style soviet helmet ,im really surprised to hear you mention used in helicopters and bombers too ,i would never of thought outside the box of fast jets, with your permission and when i get time id like to share my example and perhaps maybe have your appraisal on it ,im still waiting on a few bits like the throat mikes which were missing so as and when they come in ill post up
    thank you both and well done on a superb collection

?

Thanks for your comments Steve and James. I know just in the short time i have been collecting Flying Helmets the cost has gone through the Roof over the last 12 Months. Just small things like a Oxygen Tube for a Radio / Oxygen Mask of WWII Period goes for $300.US so as you can imagine it has slowed me down Quiet a bit.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote by James C View Post
    i would never of thought outside the box of fast jets, with your permission and when i get time id like to share my example and perhaps maybe have your appraisal on it ,im still waiting on a few bits like the throat mikes which were missing so as and when they come in ill post up
    James, let me know if you need a throat mike - I've got heaps of them, more than I'll ever need.

The 4 pin DIN connector plug for the communications usually has the date (month and year eg: 7-68) embossed on the outer rim. Handy for when the date is not visible on the tag or the tag is missing.

This photo is dated 1961, the year the ShZ-61 and ShL-61 were in operation. MiG-21 pilots wearing the ZSh-3/ShL/Z-61 combination.

Fast jet pilots sometimes wore the leather helmet on it's own without the ZSh-3 hard shell.

Helicopter crews.

Antonov transport crews.

North Vietnam MiG-17 pilots wearing ShL-61's.

Bomber crews.

Helicopter and bomber pilots/co-pilots sometimes wore the hard shell over the leather ShL, depending on the missions. In the Afghan War, the chopper pilots often wore the ShL leather helmet with the outer ZSh-3B, which was the standard helmet modified with a titanium outer protective skin.

Cheers, Willie.

Thank you greg it sounds a very expensive hobby and most probably way out of my league so i best quit now with your permission as its your thread id like to share my flight helmets here , willie can i just say a big thanks on the offer of a throat mike ,very good of you as luck would have it one landed on my doorstep today dated 1987 ,also in the box was this summer open mesh leather helmet dated 1988 the instruction leaflet was dated 1984 the label also shows -82 does this mean the year the first batch went out ? thank you too for all those superb referance pictures My Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet Collection

and my other example ,the leather winter issue cap is dated 1972 and id like to know what the lining would be for this time period ,ive tryed to set it up as best as i can but for me its not an exact science also there is a section of webbing from the hose so ive attached to the rear of the soft cap My Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet Collection

?

That looks awesome James.The added O2 mask and throat mic and you have a Gem there.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast