Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery flyers badge

Article about: Hi Guys, can anyone throw any light on this badge? I realise it is Imperial German Marine aviation but anyone know anything else? It is 85mm wide and of stamped hollow gilded brass/buntmetal

?

Default Mystery flyers badge

Hi Guys, can anyone throw any light on this badge? I realise it is Imperial German Marine aviation but anyone know anything else? It is 85mm wide and of stamped hollow gilded brass/buntmetall.There are remains of frosting lacquer and the highlights are burnished,as would be a pilot badge of this period. It shows medium wear/use and has a hinged pin and catch setup. I do not think it is a patriotic badge,it has more of an official feel about it. Nor I think it is a cap badge as the pin setup says otherwise.Any info would be great.Ferg1.

Default Re: Mystery flyers badge

Fergus,

I have never seen a Navy flying badge like this one before, so what I have to offer is just my thoughts based on first impression. The fact that the eagle seems to be holding an olive branch makes me think this could be a pre-war prototype perhaps. The reason I think pre-war is because as I am sure you know, Germany was definitely in "peace" mode after WWI, and this configuration would be out of place given the general tumultuous atmosphere that existed.

I am not sure if Navy/Marine flying badges were created in 1913 along with the Army variation, but perhaps this was an initial attempt to distinguish the different aviation branches.

BTW...I have placed a request with Admin. to move this to the Aviation Section.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

hello !
    maybe it could be a hungarian flyers badge,because of the stephens crown.
    but i think,its a fake.
    can we see the backside?
    greets lir2

?

Thanks Steven ,it's an interesting theory, I too wondered about the branch the eagle clutches, it certainly seems to be an olive branch or laurel (for victory) The sea pilot badge was created in 1913 as per the army pilot ,marine land pilot badge was 1915. Ferg1.

?

Hi,whats a ' stevens crown ' ??? It has a Hohenzollern crown not a Hungarian one, the Hungarian crown has a bent cross on top and is a different shape It is certainly not a fake piece the second one I have has a period repair to thepin catch on reverse .Anyone with experience in Imperial aviation badges will see that htis is from the same stock both in manufacture and finish/patina.

?

reverse.

Quote by Ferg1 View Post
    reverse.
    Looks reminiscent of the way that issue sub badges were made to me. I must say that the strike on this cliche' type is quite crisp. Beautiful piece...whatever it's purpose.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi, could it be a 'sweet hearts' badge?

Bumping this back up...Another observation is that the hardware is very similar to the type used on Imperial German state/knigdom awards.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Fergus,

If you have the inclination, I would love for other to see some of your amazing badge collection which you were generous enough to share with me years ago...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast