Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying piece of German WWII aircraft - FEELER

Article about: Hello, I've had this in my collection for a while and was curious if anyone can help identify what aircraft this part came from. Its made of thin laminated wood. My guess is a glider of some

Default Need help identifying piece of German WWII aircraft - FEELER

Hello,
    I've had this in my collection for a while and was curious if anyone can help identify what aircraft this part came from. Its made of thin laminated wood. My guess is a glider of some sort but I'm not sure. It appears to be a tail section thats camo painted. The photo came with the piece and I was told its of the wreckage it was pulled from. I acquired it from a military auction when I was a kid and I'm considering selling it. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Default Re: Need help identifying piece of German WWII aircraft - FEELER

the only one I can think of is the volkjager 162.and theres no sign of one in that pic. it was made from plywood,big Ned will know.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    the only one I can think of is the volkjager 162.and theres no sign of one in that pic. it was made from plywood,big Ned will know.
    Thank you. Quite an interesting aircraft. I recall seeing one at the Imperial War Museum, Didn't realize it was wood. The curve and flap seam looks consistent.

Not this time I'm afraid H. I think it's going to be nigh on impossible to pin it down to a certain type, assuming it's genuine, but your guess is a good as any as the 162's surfaces were mostly plywood construction.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you Ned. I have a feeling it will be next to impossible to ID but... figured I'd ask. I've wanted to know for a long time. I purchased it in the late 80's. I can't see any reason why someone would go through all the trouble to replicate something like this in such fine detail. I was considering taking it to the US Air and Space Museum to see if they might be able to help with it. I always had some feeling the photo might not be related to the piece but who knows. The wreckage looks more like a late war scrap heap

thanks Ned,it sure is not mozzy.

Default german tail section

Hello, Do you still have the piece of a tail from WWII German aircraft? Would you sell it? Thank you, Carleton

I've had this in my collection for a while and was curious if anyone can help identify what aircraft this part came from. Its made of thin laminated wood. My guess is a glider of some sort but I'm not sure. It appears to be a tail section thats camo painted. The photo came with the piece and I was told its of the wreckage it was pulled from. I acquired it from a military auction when I was a kid and I'm considering selling it. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Need help identifying piece of German WWII aircraft - FEELER[/QUOTE]

Hello. Yes I still have it. Please make an offer. My email is mclenrd@gmail.com

I don't like to be a dissenter, but I have issues with this piece.

The hakenkreuz is about 30cm across ( scaled from the hand ) and on the HS-162 and Me109 for example, the tail emblem was twice as large. From a distance this size would be much harder to see. You can visualise the size of one in the HE-111 photo which is more like 70cm.

Also it is too much of a coincidence to me that the great part of the recognizable portion is on this scrap section .... I would expect much less from broken wood ( or compiled of several pieces ) But, that's only my opinion.......

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying piece of German WWII aircraft - FEELER   Need help identifying piece of German WWII aircraft - FEELER  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I tend to agree with Dan..my first thought would have been that it is some sort of movie prop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast