Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

New Navy Fabric

Article about: I just got this one framed and hung. Curtis Flying Boat insignia of an anti-submarine squadron stationed at Pensicola, FL in 1918. Although I have not been able to figure out the squadron, t

Default New Navy Fabric

I just got this one framed and hung. Curtis Flying Boat insignia of an anti-submarine squadron stationed at Pensicola, FL in 1918. Although I have not been able to figure out the squadron, the fabric is named to the pilot, a LT (jg) Morris Dry. I will post more of his items later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Navy Fabric   New Navy Fabric  

New Navy Fabric  

Default Re: New Navy Fabric

That is wonderfull. Even better that it is named!

I look forwards to seeing and hearing more.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Chris L View Post
    I just got this one framed and hung. Curtis Flying Boat insignia of an anti-submarine squadron stationed at Pensicola, FL in 1918. Although I have not been able to figure out the squadron, the fabric is named to the pilot, a LT (jg) Morris Dry. I will post more of his items later.
    Chris,
    Very nice. I have tried to identify the squadron with negative results as of yet. However your pilot Morris Dry was Naval Aviator #1834. He hails from Mexico, Missouri and attended Mass Institute of Tech. Attached pic of Lt. Dry (an odd name for a guy that lives on the water). Love these early fabrics.
    Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images New Navy Fabric 

Hey Chris,

I love items that have to do with naval aviation during WWI. This piece is great, I thought that I had seen it before and I think I found out where. This is a photo of an HS-1 flying boat in Pensicola Fl. The image is a little hard to make out but it looks pretty close. What do you think?

New Navy Fabric

Thanks,
    Joh

?

Joh,

That was a great bit of detective work. Where did you find the photograph?

Cliff

Hello,

I picked up a grouping that belonged to a WWI HS-1 pilot a while back and I was trying to find out more about him and the plane so I did a search and came across a web site called World War I Sea Service Images Its a group of Department of the Navy photographs from WWI, and that one happened to a part of it. I bookmarked it and forgot about it until I saw Chris' post.

Thanks,
    John

Great fabric. Love to see this.
    Thank for share this with us.

Regards Alex

?

Quote by jcg82nd View Post
    Hello,

I picked up a grouping that belonged to a WWI HS-1 pilot a while back and I was trying to find out more about him and the plane so I did a search and came across a web site called World War I Sea Service Images Its a group of Department of the Navy photographs from WWI, and that one happened to a part of it. I bookmarked it and forgot about it until I saw Chris' post.

Thanks,
    John
    John,

Here is another somewhat clearer photo of the HS-1 Patrol Plane that you found - This photo was found on page 47 in the book, United States Naval Aviation 1910-1918, by Noel C. Shirley, Schiffer Publishing Ltd.

The second photo shows a Curtiss H-12 Patrol Plane, found on page 16 in the book, Flying Officers of the USN 1917-1919, by Naval Aviation War Book Committee. What is unique about this photo is that U. S. Navy versions of H-12 flying boats were used for training and did not get overseas; therefore, I suspect it can be assume that the insigna painted on both aircraft is one for a training squadron assigned to NAS Pensacola during World War 1.

Cliff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Navy Fabric   New Navy Fabric  

I checked my copy of Flying officers of the USN 1917-1919 and your right the same photo is in there. I think your right about this unit not going over seas.
    But according the the "Millionaires Unit" about the first Yale aviators, the H-12 was in use in the North Sea flying anti-submarine patrols.

John