Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform

Article about: Uniform of Arthur D. Farquhar, 1st Lt. , Squadriglia 6a (XI), Caproni Bombing Squadron. Squadriglia 6a had several pilots that were killed in action over the Vittorio Veneto Sector during a

Default New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform

Uniform of Arthur D. Farquhar, 1st Lt. , Squadriglia 6a (XI), Caproni Bombing Squadron. Squadriglia 6a had several pilots that were killed in action over the Vittorio Veneto Sector during a bombing raid in October 1918. Lt. Farquhar served at the front from 7-19-18 until the Armistice. He was awarded the Italian Cross of War as was another pilot in my collection, Allen Bevin (see Gorrell document). As you can see the medals have been converted to U.S. style broaches. The wing is pin back with a 60 degree opening. Any research help will be much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform   New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform  

New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform   New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform  

New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform  

Default Re: New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform

Close up of Italian Wing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform  

3mk
    ?

Beautiful uniform,I have 1 just like it exept its in olive drab cotton.
    Regards
    Emil

Dennis,

You never fail to shock and amaze with your findings, this is no exception. Though I can't tell you anything about the man at this point, I can tell you that the US wing is almost certainly a product of the Armstrong Company of Chicago. They made this style of wing in pin back or as a direct sew on to the uniform. I have this example on Charles Hill's tunic.

See the same type pin back here in post #30: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...badges-9210-3/

As to your uniform, I found a couple of interesting then and now views of the building where it could have possibly began its life - the Brandeis Bldg in Omaha, Neb. I have also added a shot of the label from a uniform I used to own.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform  
    Attached Images Attached Images New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform  New War Bird / Caproni Pilot Uniform 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Dennis,

I found the below with reference to him being in the 319th Aero Sqdn. Looks like he sailed home on the Mauretania.

Aerial age weekly - Google Books

Here is an interesting document naming your man:
    Last edited by Steven M; 03-14-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Another small bit of information from Gorrell's, the 319th was stationed in England.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Farquhar? I wonder if he is kin to Lord Farquhar that gave Feona and Shrek such a hard time? lol

1920 US Census

Name: Arthur D Farquhar
    [Arthur D Farguhar]
    Home in 1920: Olney, Montgomery, Maryland
    Estimated birth year: abt 1891
    Birthplace: Maryland
    Relation to Head of House: Son
    Spouse's name: Helen N
    Father's Name: Abbas
    Father's Birth Place: Maryland
    Mother's Birth Place: Virginia
    Marital Status: Married
    Race: White
    Sex: Male
    Able to read: Yes
    Able to Write: Yes

Household Members: Name Age
    Abbas Farquhar 66
    Ellen Farquhar 82
    Arthur D Farquhar 29
    Helen N Farquhar 22

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Farquhar? I wonder if he is kin to Lord Farquhar that gave Feona and Shrek such a hard time? lol
    Only You, now that you have kids, would come up with that!

DJ

1910 Census

Name: A Douglas Farquhar
    Age in 1910: 19
    Estimated birth year: abt 1891
    Birthplace: Maryland
    Relation to Head of House: Son
    Father's Name: Allan
    Father's Birth Place: Maryland
    Mother's Name: Charlotte H
    Mother's Birth Place: Virginia