Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...

Article about: ...which I sold to purchase my attributed grouping to Maj. harry L. Wingate. I still have fond memories of the tunic, but I have "graduated" to adding only named groupings to my co

Default Re: Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Steven, that must have been hard to part with. Shame it never had a name in it.

But I understand your logic and it is the way forward where ever possible. My wife Lez now virtually only buys named groups for her collection.

Cheers, Ade.
    Howdy Ade,

At the time, it was my only aviation tunic, and if my friend Dennis didn't offer me a very fine identified tunic grouping with solid provenance, I may have had it longer. However, the prospect of a research-able items really got into my blood. It is fascinating how a piece of cloth can take on a personality of its own in a way that makes you feel like you actually know the person who wore it.

Sounds like your wife has discovered the same feeling about identified items and how the research never seems to end. Just when you think you know all that you can, some obscure or unexpected paper clipping, letter or reference comes your way - and it starts all over again.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Bugme View Post
    I always liked that uniform Steve and wish now that I had jumped on it when you were letting it go but,since helmets are my primary focus and I had one of those on the line at the same time, I had to let your uniform throw the hook. However, I am thrilled to see that you've gone to mannequins and stopped using the "casket" method of displaying your uniforms.
    Hey Scotty,

I won't forget your shared excitement over this when I got it even though you're a hard core helmet guy, that meant a lot to me.

On a side note, I'll have you know that the knowledge you have imparted to me and your enthusiasm about helmets has inspired me to start collecting relic battle-damaged WWI Imperial German examples. I have always liked them, even as a kid. In fact, my first serious piece of militaria was a M16 helmet that I bought at a garage sale for the princely sum of $50.00...25+ years ago.

I guess I have come full circle now, as I am interested in them once again. Though I have no intention of abandoning my aviation interests , they are a heck of a lot cheaper than aviation groupings as many can cost the price of a small used car... Since money is tight right now, these helmets are a good and fairly cheap way of keeping me in the collecting game until better times when I can add more substantial items to the aviation collection.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Hey Scotty,
    I guess I have come full circle now, as I am interested in them once again...
    My diabolical plan of converting you to helmets is nearly complete!(maniacal laughter).

Quote by Bugme View Post
    My diabolical plan of converting you to helmets is nearly complete!(maniacal laughter).
    Now I have seen and heard it all...conversion through temptation by a Pastor......

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Nice uniform!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12