Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pilot officer Fred Cardwell info

Article about: i Hope i have posted this query in the relevant section? i have recently become aware of a great uncle who was a pilot officer in the RAF who died on 25th Oct 1919 aged just 20. i have done

Default Pilot officer Fred Cardwell info

i Hope i have posted this query in the relevant section? i have recently become aware of a great uncle who was a pilot officer in the RAF who died on 25th Oct 1919 aged just 20. i have done as much research as my experience allows and found he was part off a force sent to the Russian federation on board HMS Vindictive in 1919 to assist in troubles in that region. I would like some help in finding out some more information as to how he died (accident, combat etc) and any further details about him in general. I believe he is buried in the region somewhere and remembered at the Archangel Memorial. I have tried my best to find out more info but have got nowhere, hopefully someone could assist me further.

Regards
    Russell Cardwell

Hi Russell, welcome to the forum!

Here is his "Soldiers Effects" record entry.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilot officer Fred Cardwell info  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade, thanks for your quick reply, what does this information actually mean as im guessing its all in 'code' (military short/hand)
    Thanks
    Russ

Basically it just covers the pay he was owed. But it confirms the date of death "on active service" which you already have.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I expect you already have seen this, but I will post it out of interest:

Memorials and Monuments in Portsmouth Cathedral

Found this

Memorials and Monuments in Portsmouth Cathedral

However I think the place name should be Kronstadt.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry

CWGC - Casualty Details

I think this is him [from Ancestry]

National Archives

Name Cardwell, Fred Date of Birth: 21 December 1898 | The National Archives
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilot officer Fred Cardwell info   Pilot officer Fred Cardwell info  

Thanks Ade, yes i had seen the Portsmouth memorial but a slightly different version, your link is a better version though.

Regards
    Russ

Thank you Richie!
    brought a tear to my eye that photo as he (Fred) is so similar in looks to my Dad who passed away many years ago. Cant thank you enough guys, never thought i would see a picture of him. this info is great...

Having now got some more info to go on, i have found a detailed report written later on the British intervention in south Russia, and a National archives document showing some of Fred's records, its now looking a possibility that he was shot dead by a sentry when returning drunk to his accommodation, as i can find ref to this incident and he may have been only British pilot officer to die that same month. Hope im wrong.

Hi Russ, that is very interesting. Please keep us up dated.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast