Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Prussian Aviator

Article about: by Chris L Were the squadron numbers placed on officer's tunics? I have seen one on Tony Schurr's website which was a oval disk sewn on the sleeve--but it was for a enlisted man. I would not

Default Re: Prussian Aviator

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Were the squadron numbers placed on officer's tunics? I have seen one on Tony Schurr's website which was a oval disk sewn on the sleeve--but it was for a enlisted man. I would not have thought officer's would wear one, but I honestly have no idea.

I was going to say MG badge due to what look like prong marks--but I dont really know enough to comment

beautiful tunic by the way!
    Hi ya Chris,

Officers did indeed wear squadron numbers on the left sleeve, although it was not common place. In "World War I German Aviators, The Sanke Cards" by Charles Woolley, there are at least two period cards of officer aviators that clearly show these oval numbered patches up close in studio portraits.

On page 139, Offizierstellvertreter (An NCO with temporary officer rank) Fritz Kosmahl wears one with '22' on it.

On page 235, Leutnant Emil Thuy wears one with '53'.

On Gary's tunic, I tend to lean more toward the outline being that of a machine gun badge. The aviation squadron ovals are elongated vertically, whereas the machine gun badge was more horizontally ovular. If my eyes do not deceive me, I do believe I can see the ghost images of the body of a machine gun as well as the legs.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    There were a couple of very cool things that came with the tunic.

The first was a very early Zeiss Feldstecher binocular from 1894 (the first year they were sold) and an exceptional Schnapps flask.
    Gary,
    I noticed in the picture of your pilot that he is wearing a Commemorative Pilots (Fleiger-Erinnerrungsabzeichen) Badge. This badge was awarded to eligible pilots that were retired or so disabled in combat that they could no longer fulfill their flying duties. This may help to track him down. Still looking for the picture of the pilots wearing the oval cloth badge on their left sleeve denoting their squadron.
    Terry

?

Hi Gary,
    This is another beautiful aviator grouping you show us. Personally I'm not into aviation, but by seeing your uniform(s), I'm getting warm for it. Congratulations!

Adler

Hi Terry,

Yes that is the route I have been using. So far there are about 15 individuals it could be. I have letters out to various families trying to ascertain if the photo I have is one of their relatives. I also have an appointment at the Bundesarchiv in July to go through the records yet again!

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Gary,
    I noticed in the picture of your pilot that he is wearing a Commemorative Pilots (Fleiger-Erinnerrungsabzeichen) Badge. This badge was awarded to eligible pilots that were retired or so disabled in combat that they could no longer fulfill their flying duties. This may help to track him down. Still looking for the picture of the pilots wearing the oval cloth badge on their left sleeve denoting their squadron.
    Terry

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Terry,

Yes that is the route I have been using. So far there are about 15 individuals it could be. I have letters out to various families trying to ascertain if the photo I have is one of their relatives. I also have an appointment at the Bundesarchiv in July to go through the records yet again!

Cheers
    Gary
    Gary,
    Thats great, if you get some time at the Bundesarchiv and have a spare moment perhaps you could see if they have anything on Klienshred, my enlisted pilot. I hope you can track your guy down.
    Terry

Hi Major,

I'll do that!

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Gary,
    Thats great, if you get some time at the Bundesarchiv and have a spare moment perhaps you could see if they have anything on Klienshred, my enlisted pilot. I hope you can track your guy down.
    Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2