Become our sponsor and display your banner here

RAAF 4 MWU / ACS Airfield Construction Squadron Milne Bay New Guinea 1943-44

Article about: Thought i would share my latest research project for those that are interested. A while ago I came into the possession of a group of very interesting and unique WW2 small sized photo's taken

?

Default RAAF 4 MWU / ACS Airfield Construction Squadron Milne Bay New Guinea 1943-44

Thought i would share my latest research project for those that are interested.
    A while ago I came into the possession of a group of very interesting and unique WW2 small sized photo's taken by a RAAF LAC at Milne Bay New Guinea 43/44.
    He was part of 4 MWU , Works Maintenance Unit , at the time the RAAF also had MWS units , Mobile Works Supply Units as well.
    They were all renamed ACS Air Construction Squadrons on the 14/7/44
    His name was William Handley , #71410
    Anyway there is not much written about them , at all , only a couple of interesting reads really , and not many photos at all .

http://www.contracts.com.au/~jburke/...ways-First.pdf

So I thought I would share what I have. These men travelled and worked in horrendous conditions , equal to task as any front line soldier no matter how impossible it seemed at the time , they got it done. So they should be remembered as such and as an equal to the fighting soldier.
    Tough as Nails these guys , Work Hard , Play Hard , they were generally older in age than the average soldier and played their part in full.

If anyone else has info or photos and stories to tell I would be more than interested in hearing from you.

Cheers Rick

These photos of his are unique in that they are the only one's of its kind anywhere as a Unit / Group Photo at Milne Bay or anywhere that I can find for reference. C /1943

?

?

The National Museum might be interested in those.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The National Museum might be interested in those.
    Maybe mate , Im sorting through the collection to get a timeline, and sharing it here for those that are interested.
    It's pretty cool , a picture says a thousand words as they say.
    Includes USAAF fighters & bombers , RAAF fighters and transports , plenty of ships on fire , downed Jap planes , graves , off work on the drink moments , all sorts of stuff.
    Cheers Rick