Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Battle of Britain Headgear

Article about: 1940 RAF Battle of Britain headgear set , for reference. B- Type Flying Helmet Mk III Flying Goggles D Type Oxygen Mask Type 21 Microphone

Default RAF Battle of Britain Headgear

1940 RAF Battle of Britain headgear set , for reference.
    B- Type Flying Helmet
    Mk III Flying Goggles
    D Type Oxygen Mask
    Type 21 Microphone

That's a great looking display!

Fabulous !
    I was given one of these helmets at a very young age ! In fact my first piece of militaria
    Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nice rig - although in reality the Type 21 Mic was introduced at the very end of October 1940 so not actually used during the official period of the BoB and the offical qualifying period for the BoB bar on the 39-45 star was July 10 - October 31 1940. The 19 or E Carbon mics are the proper ones for the actual BoB period. But, I wouldn't kick it our of bed for eating chips.

Also, the MkIII's were rapidy abandon by active duty pilots about July 1940 after the Battle of France as the cellophane lenses melted very easily and rapidly in the event of a fire causing very significant eye burn injuries that were avoided by using goggles with shatterproof glass lenses. The Mk III & IIIa's were widely used in training establishments for student aircrew.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Nice rig - although in reality the Type 21 Mic was introduced at the very end of October 1940 so not actually used during the official period of the BoB and the offical qualifying period for the BoB bar on the 39-45 star was July 10 - October 31 1940. The 19 or E Carbon mics are the proper ones for the actual BoB period. But, I wouldn't kick it our of bed for eating chips.

Also, the MkIII's were rapidy abandon by active duty pilots about July 1940 after the Battle of France as the cellophane lenses melted very easily and rapidly in the event of a fire causing very significant eye burn injuries that were avoided by using goggles with shatterproof glass lenses. The Mk III & IIIa's were widely used in training establishments for student aircrew.
    Hi Mate,
    True the 21 mic's a couple of months outta date but for the sake of it , the hardest thing of all was finding a good non rotten D-Mask

?

Nice display.

Mk III goggles were still the most used during this period by pilots , plastic lenses or not.