Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RCAF MkIII Flying Goggles

Article about: Whilst we are talking goggles , heres another pair of MkIII's I have . Theses one 1942 dated RCAF , used in Empire Air Training Scheme. They are very similar to RAF ones but marked 22/69 ins

Default RCAF MkIII Flying Goggles

Whilst we are talking goggles , heres another pair of MkIII's I have .
    Theses one 1942 dated RCAF , used in Empire Air Training Scheme.
    They are very similar to RAF ones but marked 22/69 instead of 22C/69.
    The main thing I can point out to collectors of these is that its very hard to find a pair , without having broken springs under the cloth covering on the sides. Always find out if they have spring tension before buying a pair , They are just such a fragile goggle overall that they wear out quickly with use.
    Also the Commonwealth made versions are a more affordable choice .

?

Strange, that they would be inherently fragile.
    Some of these goggles can look overengineered and most likely are - not so these (the goggles in the OP).

Here some that look overengineered - the Type IVb
    GB B Type

Quote by Scout View Post
    Strange, that they would be inherently fragile.
    Some of these goggles can look overengineered and most likely are - not so these (the goggles in the OP).

Here some that look overengineered - the Type IVb
    GB B Type
    Thats right mate , they went from one extreme to the other , MkIV's were cumbersome fiddly to adjust , and hard to get on and off quickly , so we ended up with the MkVIII's

?

Quote by Kenworth View Post
    Thats right mate , they went from one extreme to the other , MkIV's were cumbersome fiddly to adjust , and hard to get on and off quickly , so we ended up with the MkVIII's
    Thanks. Yes, a member drew also drew my attention that yesterday in a thread where the cumbersome flying goggles were mentioned.
    I understand that they even had a screw for securing the cumbersome goggles to the flying helmet. Surprising but interesting info. Usually, I see goggles (like many of the Luftwaffe ones), which are just simple light weight mostly good quality goggles (I mean, how difficult can it be to design quality goggles).

How ever, your goggles offer an interesting and historic insight into what moved the designers/pilots in regards to the evolution of flying goggles - finding some goggles cumbersome, they went in the opposite direction.