Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Researching allied aircraft losses over England.

Article about: Hello all, I hope this is the correct place for me to post this question. Could anyone point me in the right direction toward researching ww2 allied aircraft losses? Is there a database that

Default Researching allied aircraft losses over England.

Hello all,

I hope this is the correct place for me to post this question. Could anyone point me in the right direction toward researching ww2 allied aircraft losses? Is there a database that exists or archives?

I am attempting to help uncover the story behind the death of a friends relative, Pilot Officer William Stuart Marshall. He and his crew were lost over the channel on 27th May 1942. He was posted to 608 'North Riding' Squadron R.A.F. Station Thornaby, Yorkshire on the 25th September 1940. Flying Duties, Coastal Command. He was at Thornaby until 7th December 1940 He was then moved to No.3 School of General Reconnaissance at R.A.F. 'Squires Gate' Lancashire.

I realise that this may be the limit of information I might find but according to my friend his aircraft was downed by friendly fire and if anything that will help to confirm this story crops up that would be fantastic.

Many thanks!

Ash

Default Re: Researching allied aircraft losses over England.

You'd be better off putting the question on RafCommands Forums, the form owner is Ross McNeill who wrote Coastal Command Losses.

Quote by Ashleigh M W View Post
    Hello all,

I hope this is the correct place for me to post this question. Could anyone point me in the right direction toward researching ww2 allied aircraft losses? Is there a database that exists or archives?

I am attempting to help uncover the story behind the death of a friends relative, Pilot Officer William Stuart Marshall. He and his crew were lost over the channel on 27th May 1942. He was posted to 608 'North Riding' Squadron R.A.F. Station Thornaby, Yorkshire on the 25th September 1940. Flying Duties, Coastal Command. He was at Thornaby until 7th December 1940 He was then moved to No.3 School of General Reconnaissance at R.A.F. 'Squires Gate' Lancashire.

I realise that this may be the limit of information I might find but according to my friend his aircraft was downed by friendly fire and if anything that will help to confirm this story crops up that would be fantastic.

Many thanks!

Ash
    Hi Ash, Now had you wanted information on the German Luftwaffe in WW2 i could have helped you out-but wish you luck in your search for allied data all the same. Regards, Tim.

A little information for you

"27-5-1942
    1401 Flight
    Blenheim IV V5568

Shot down in error by Whirlwinds.

68148 F/O William Stuart MARSHALL +
    963850 F/Sgt Percy Hudson THIMBLEBEE +
    616588 F/Sgt Alfred Edward GROVES MiD +"

Unaccounted airmen - 30-3-1942 see Post #7.

The plane belonged to 1401 Meteorological Flight and the Whirlwind belonged to 137 Squadron.

Friendly fire WWII - Page 42 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum see Post #415

Hope that helps - confirms the "friendly fire" story.

Regards

Richie

Quote by Richie B View Post
    A little information for you

"27-5-1942
    1401 Flight
    Blenheim IV V5568

Shot down in error by Whirlwinds.

68148 F/O William Stuart MARSHALL +
    963850 F/Sgt Percy Hudson THIMBLEBEE +
    616588 F/Sgt Alfred Edward GROVES MiD +"

Unaccounted airmen - 30-3-1942 see Post #7.

The plane belonged to 1401 Meteorological Flight and the Whirlwind belonged to 137 Squadron.

Friendly fire WWII - Page 42 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum see Post #415

Hope that helps - confirms the "friendly fire" story.

Regards

Richie
    Richie,

Short and concise post that nails it. Good drills.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Richie, thanks so much for posting the info! Im sorry it took so long to get back to the forum! Well that certainly does confirm the friendly fire story indeed, my friend will be really happy to have assurance that the story passed down through his family was indeed accurate. Unfortunately it must have been a rather tragic end for his relative.

Thank you once again.

Ash

Thank you Tim, where do you guys get your fantastic wealth of knowledge on these matters from?!

Quote by alclark View Post
    You'd be better off putting the question on RafCommands Forums, the form owner is Ross McNeill who wrote Coastal Command Losses.
    alclark, looks like a good site. i have just noticed that the original information came from rafcommands.com. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. Exactly what I was looking for!

Quote by Ashleigh M W View Post
    Thank you Tim, where do you guys get your fantastic wealth of knowledge on these matters from?!
    My Google Fu is strong as I believe they say