Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG

Article about: This is the jacket of R.P. Ward who as a Captain of the 4th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers was awarded the MC in 1917 then transferred to the RFC as an observer flying in the massive Handley Page

Default Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG

This is the jacket of R.P. Ward who as a Captain of the 4th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers was awarded the MC in 1917 then transferred to the RFC as an observer flying in the massive Handley Page 0/400. His DFC citation (Gazetted 21 Sept 1918)reads "He has been engaged on 37 bombing raids and 10 photographic reconnaissance and has been in nearly all the raids in which severe fighting has taken place. Captain Ward has displayed the greatest coolness and courage in action combined with ability and keenness in the work entrusted to him." I added the garrison cap but all the rest is his.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG   Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG  

Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG   Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG  

Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG  

Default Re: Richard Percival Ward MC, DFC, CDG

Gary,

Such treasures...I had no idea that you had such items!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steven,

Thank you and I have a whole lot more in the room!

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Steven M View Post
    Gary,

Such treasures...I had no idea that you had such items!

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Steven,

Thank you and I have a whole lot more in the room!

Cheers
    Gary
    Feel free to dazzle us further my friend.This is incredible.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A most impressive group.

You just have to admire these early aircrews.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Yes you do. If I recall correctly the British alone lost 85 men a month in training. To go out and learn to fly in that era was a truly courageous and remarkable thing. We pilots today have no clue how truly dangerous it was to fly back then.

Gary
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    A most impressive group.

You just have to admire these early aircrews.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Ade,

Yes you do. If I recall correctly the British alone lost 85 men a month in training. To go out and learn to fly in that era was a truly courageous and remarkable thing. We pilots today have no clue how truly dangerous it was to fly back then.

Gary
    Yes indeed. reading period accounts from pilots makes one wonder how any of them survived flying those death traps. No brakes, flimsy framework, gas and oil leaks onto flammable coated fabric...no parachutes. All this to contend with plus the enemy shooting at you. Added to this misery, as Major Morris pointed out in another thread, the effects of Castor oil fumes inducing the undignified experience of losing control of your bowels in flight... - heroes all.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]