MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Rivolto-Villaorba (Udine ITALY) Airbase

Article about: I'm interested in any information you have about this airport, here you have mine: In 1915 Lieutenant Laurenti was sent from Roma to the Friuli Venezia Giulia to locate ideal sites in which

albi
    ?

Default Rivolto-Villaorba (Udine ITALY) Airbase

I'm interested in any information you have about this airport, here you have mine:

In 1915 Lieutenant Laurenti was sent from Roma to the Friuli Venezia Giulia to locate ideal sites in which to build airfields.
    Laurenti spotted a lot of interesting sites that I-II WW became runways.
    In the area we are treating are to be mentioned: Risano, Campoformido south Nespoledo, Galleriano, Nogaredo, Flaibano, Cisterna di Udine. Most of these disappeared in the midst of the crop at the end of hostilities.
    Looking for respect, the first official record dates back to 31/5/40 when a convoy departed from Aviano to take "ownership" of the meadows making "Secret Maneuver Airport n.148". The staff and offices were housed in a building made available by Count Jacopo Marcello. The command was taken in May by Tullio Cariolato.
    Also in 1940 construction began on a new airport in Villaorba who took the name " Secret Maneuver Airport n.147" The new plant consisted of shacks.
    With ups and downs (and without special events) we arrived at 'September 8, 1943 when the Germans took control of airports. Ju88's were redeployed and were carried out runways in concrete, looking at Me 262 and Ar234.
    At this point that Todt built a dense network of concrete connections to decentralize the aircraft and connect the airfields. In particular they linked Rivolto to Villaorba. It was also their intention to connect Lavariano to Campoformido but stopped in Pozzuolo del Friuli.
    After the war, passed through the Allies with Spitfire IX, Baltimore Marauder.
    In '55 the new runway was built 06/240 of 3000 x 45 meters with fittings and parks (daisies) used by aircraft in transit to the polygon in Maniago.
    In '58 the staff who worked with activation of the various facilities was still housed in tents. Often passing of the F100 from Aviano.
    With the beginning of the '60s and the arrival of the "Pattuglia Acrobatica Nazionale Frecce Tricolori" the airport became (with a few changes) what later came up today.

albi
    ?

Default Re: Rivolto-Villaorba (Udine ITALY) Airbase

A couple of images of the Australians at Villaorba on:

Mitchell BJ