Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Searching for info on Airman and his P-47 missing in Germany 1 Jun 45

Article about: I have found the missing aircrew report for a relative that that went MIA on 1 Jun 45 around Mannheim, after combat operations had ended. He was listed as MIA in the report but later changed

Default Searching for info on Airman and his P-47 missing in Germany 1 Jun 45

I have found the missing aircrew report for a relative that that went MIA on 1 Jun 45 around Mannheim, after combat operations had ended. He was listed as MIA in the report but later changed to KIA, but I am unable to determine if his status change was due to finding his wreckage or just a wait in declaring his KIA status.

2LT Hilary P Pascucchi, O-2066703, 50th FG, 81st FS in P-47D-22 (possibly named "Chris"), 42-25775 out of Y-79 airfield on 1 Jun 45.

With this groups resources and knowledge of the ETO, I wondering if anybody knows if this aircraft crash was ever located? Thanks.

Default Re: Searching for info on Airman and his P-47 missing in Germany 1 Jun 45

Bearing in mind the date, it's a bit tricky to understand why he would have been posted as KIA or MIA given that hostilities ended almost 2 months earlier. Can you post any additional details?

Default Re: Searching for info on Airman and his P-47 missing in Germany 1 Jun 45

Yes, a minor part of the mystery is if he is actually officially listed as KIA as it was a 'killed in flying accident' or 'killed in training' non-combat death and after the end of hostilities. Which in a way makes it tragic in that he enlisted on 9 Dec 41 and made it to V-E day only to die shortly thereafter. As for details, I only have the MACR (missing air crew report) and according to the report done within 48 hours, it was a flight for testing or training, intended to stay within 10 miles of Mannheim (Y-79). Last contact was radio on take off and he did not return. They searched the area but did not find any sign. I imagine if he went down in the vicinity of Mannheim, without the frenzy of a large aerial battle, some evidence of his crash might have eventually been found, but I don't know where to begin to search for crash site info in Germany and post hostilities.

Revisiting this post to edit the spelling of 2LT Pascucci.
    Additional information from family says they believe his body and aircraft may have been recovered in Luxembourg, but that is some distance from Mannheim (which he was supposed to remain within 10 miles of).

I hope it can help you.
    I copy you the homepage of the 385th BG Museum in Perlé,Luxembourg.
    You will find the email adress of Mr Roger Feller(how speak English,obviously).This man has already located more than 200 crash sites in Luxembourg .
    I'm sure he will be THE man to help you.
    www.385bg.com

I add this link to one of his search.I was unable to use the "back" option....

Lt. R.E. Daw

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Mr Feller. I appreciate your help. Cheers!