Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Signed pictures

Article about: Hi all,i thought i would share some pictures i have. They were bought for me by my father in the 80's to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the battle of Britain,and have been signed by war

Default Signed pictures

Hi all,i thought i would share some pictures i have. They were bought for me by my father in the 80's to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the battle of Britain,and have been signed by wartime survivors,and only 1000 produced.
    The signitures are quite rare,to name but a few,there is Dowding ( on the Spit ) Douglas Bader and Bob Stanford Tuck ( on the Hurricane) and perhaps the most infamous Sir Arthur " Bomber " Harris ( on the Lanc )
    I really like them and thought i would share,MP40
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signed pictures   Signed pictures  

Signed pictures  

Default Re: Signed pictures

Nice souvenirs!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Beautiful, early signed collector prints.

Nice to see them.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Wonderful keepsakes, dido the thanks for sharing. I'm sure they look great hanging on the wall.

Jay

Are all the signatures facsimilies? Dowding died in 1969, so his must be.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Jan
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post

Regards, Ned.
    I think they obviously are Ned

Rgds Jan

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks Ned,i have had these pictures 30 years and always thought it was Hugh Dowding, but as you have said he died long before ( 15 Feb 1970 ) On the back of all the pics is a certificate of authenticity issued by the Battle Of Britain museum. Against Dowdings name is:-
    Wing Commander Lord Dowding of Bentley Proiry 74 Sqn.
    I dont know when the prints were signed but they are all in ink and i really dont think they are facsimilies,at least i hope not.
    MP40
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signed pictures   Signed pictures  

Signed pictures  
    Attached Images Attached Images Signed pictures 

On another point, the reverse side says 'signed by:' Wing Commander Lord Dowding of Bentley Priory. This is completely wrong, Dowding was promoted Air Marshal in 1933, and Air Chief Marshal in 1937. This 'Battle of Britain Museum' outfit certainly did not do their homework. I believe the signatures must be facsimilies.

Regards,Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

On another point, the reverse side says 'signed by:' Wing Commander Lord Dowding of Bentley Priory. This is completely wrong, Dowding was promoted Air Marshal in 1933, and Air Chief Marshal in 1937. This 'Battle of Britain Museum' outfit certainly did not do their homework. I believe the signatures must be facsimilies.

Regards,Ned.
    Completely agree with you Ned,and you have certainly made me think. Maybe more than one Dowding? Its me that always thought it was "Hugh ",but is obviously not. Its also a howler of a mistake to make,which makes me think its my bad in thinking it was Hugh Dowding ,anyway i appreciate you pointing this out and i have e mailed Royal Air force museum London to see if they can help to identify who the " Dowding" is

O.K. Appologies due M.P.40!!

The signature is original, it's his sons signature!! Derek Dowding fought in the BoB as a Spitfire pilot in 74 Squadron. He retired as a Wing Commander in the early 50's and his fathers title would have passed to him on his fathers death in 1970 as it is hereditary. Here is a link to his career: Wing Commander Dowding 74

Once again, i appologise, but it's nice to sort the truth out!

Kindest Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast