Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Some interesting B-17 photos

Article about: I have been working with an estate clearer and he has been digging up some good pictures out of Hamilton Field in California and these are the most recent ones he has brought to me. They are

Default Some interesting B-17 photos

I have been working with an estate clearer and he has been digging up some good pictures out of Hamilton Field in California and these are the most recent ones he has brought to me. They are official Army pictures but I had not seen them before. The P-40 pictures are pretty cool too!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some interesting B-17 photos   Some interesting B-17 photos  

Some interesting B-17 photos   Some interesting B-17 photos  

Default Re: Some interesting B-17 photos

What year were these taken Gary?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Great photos .

Hi Gary,

Nice photo's!!

The bomber pic's actually show the prototype B-17, the 'Model 299'. The engines appear to be Pratt & Whitney R-1690's that were only fitted to the 299, the near identical follow up aircraft were designated XB-17's and were powered by Wright Cyclone engines i believe.

The Model 299 crashed during acceptance trials for the USAAC on the 30th of October 1935 whilst being flown by AAC test pilot Major Ployer Hill and Boeing chief test pilot Les Tower, who were both killed, all other crew members survived.

The cause of the accident was that a lever between the pilots seats called the 'Gust lock', which locked all the elevators on the a/c whilst it was on the ground to prevent their possible damage by wind, was not disengaged. Consequently, the a/c on cycling, immeadiately reared up to almost vertical, dropped a wing and scythed in. Due to this accident, Boeing introduced the pre- flight checklist that all modern aircraft use to this day, to prevent accidents on take off.

Cheers, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some interesting B-17 photos  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Nick,

I have no idea to be honest. All are for sure pre 1940 and almost certainly post 1935, other than that no idea for sure.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    What year were these taken Gary?

Nick

Hi Ned,

I think this may not be 299. I think it is one of the 39 production B-17B's that were delivered in 1936. To the best of my knowledge 299 never made it to Hamilton Field and if it had, it would have flown in I would think.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Gary,

Nice photo's!!

The bomber pic's actually show the prototype B-17, the 'Model 299'. The engines appear to be Pratt & Whitney R-1690's that were only fitted to the 299, the near identical follow up aircraft were designated XB-17's and were powered by Wright Cyclone engines i believe.

The Model 299 crashed during acceptance trials for the USAAC on the 30th of October 1935 whilst being flown by AAC test pilot Major Ployer Hill and Boeing chief test pilot Les Tower, who were both killed, all other crew members survived.

The cause of the accident was that a lever between the pilots seats called the 'Gust lock', which locked all the elevators on the a/c whilst it was on the ground to prevent their possible damage by wind, was not disengaged. Consequently, the a/c on cycling, immeadiately reared up to almost vertical, dropped a wing and scythed in. Due to this accident, Boeing introduced the pre- flight checklist that all modern aircraft use to this day, to prevent accidents on take off.

Cheers, Ned.