Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

'The Spotted Cow' B17

Article about: Paul, what a plethora of colour schemes you are showing !! Nick

Default 'The Spotted Cow' B17

This is the B-17F “Spotted Cow” Flying Fortress assembly ship of the 384th Bomber Group based at RAF Grafton Underwood in Northamptonshire, England. The assembly ship's mission was to serve as the reference point for hundreds of bombers taking off for a mission to fall into groups for the long flight to the target. As soon as the mass formation would take shape, the assembly ship returned to base. The “Spotted Cow” flew 61 combat missions.

Taken from the excellent 'Fans of the B17' Facebook page

Anyone know of any other pics of Assembly Ships?

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'The Spotted Cow' B17  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well I have learned something interesting!

aircraft in its pyjamas

Quote by brataccas View Post
    aircraft in its pyjamas
    ..a onesie !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That's very interesting Nick , I found this one on "wiki" called a B24-D Assembly ship or Judas Goat? Strange name in know but that's what it says?? Leon.

Thanks Leon!

I wonder what colour scheme that one was, it looks as though it was multi-coloured!

Nick

Me again Nick! A site called Mighty Eighth Air Force Historial Society of WW2 has a load of bright stripey/spotty mad cap designed images of assembly aircraft of the 8th air force to view!!! I hope they are of interest. Leon.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Thanks Leon!

I wonder what colour scheme that one was, it looks as though it was multi-coloured!

Nick
    sorry couldn't resist X_X

Thanks for that link to the 'Mighty Eighth' I think I may join that society!

Nick

There's a book about these out called "Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth" that is highly recommended, although quite expensive at around £50+ new. I recently missed out on a secondhand copy on Ebay that went for £40.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast