Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform

Article about: by Steven M Hello and welcome. While I always respect differing points of views regarding originality, I think we must be careful in judging such rare items (or any other item) by only seein

Default Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform

The Imperial Russian Air Service was established in 1912 with just a hand full of pilots and a few airplanes. This particular uniform belonged to a Warrant Officer Instructor at the Sebastapol Flying School (as indicated by bullion sleeve patch). The Sebastapo Flying School closed down in 1913. This pilots badge was only awarded during the 1912-1913 period at which time the Air Service changed to the Air Force and the WW1 Wing and Prop shoulder insgnia and new pilots badge became the emblems for the Air Force. The tunic is black with Engineer buttons. All pilots in the Imperial Russian Air Service were attached to the Engineers and wore the uniform of that branch of service. It sports the shoulder boards of a Warrant Officer with Aviation Two Headed Imperial Eagle with crossed propeller and sword and the 1912 pilots badge consisting of a screw back two headed Imperial Eagle with crosed propeller and sword. These badges were personally awarded to each pilot by the Czar himself. It also supports the badge for the Engineer Academy. Black hat with black velvet band and Officers Oval. This is probably the rarest of all early Air Service uniforms. Occasionally one sees the WW1 period Imperial Russian pilots uniforms but this is the only M-1912 tunic I have ever encountered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform   Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform  

Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform   Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform  

Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform   Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform  

Default Re: Super Rare 1912 Imperial Russian Pilot Uniform

Major,

I think I need to change my screen name to 'Broken Record'...WOW!

Just when I think you couldn't possibly outdo your last posting...I have NEVER seen a Russian Pilot uniform of this model and with this flight badge. Absolutely incredible...what a beautiful tunic. Thank you for posting it!

If there is a story about how this found its way to you...please share it.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Very impressive!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

fabulous grouping,,,nice job

VERY nice! I've never seen such a uniform before

I would love to hear the history behind this uniform. Any idea if the owner survived the Revolution? Did he escape to Western Europe like many of the Whites?

Quote by Chris L View Post
    I would love to hear the history behind this uniform. Any idea if the owner survived the Revolution? Did he escape to Western Europe like many of the Whites?
    Chris,
    I wish I could provide a personal history, but alas not to be. Due to the revolution, WW1, and WW2 those record seemed to have been lost to time.
    Terry

Super rare doesn't even come close! I havn't seen one in a museum! All pre revolution uniforms from eastern Europe are unobtanium for the most part. I am trying to get a pre WWI grouping to a Hungarian aviator and it has been a very long and sometimes painful negotiation! I have been looking for a pre WWII Polish aviators uniform for over ten years with no luck.

ccj
    ?

Extremely rare. I've only seen photos of Russian pilots.

Impressive to say the very least Terry! Is it possible to have you post a photo of the other badge shown and if you or anyone else can post a period photo that would be a treat as well. What a great education you can have here!

Thanks!
    John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast