Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Article about: by CThomas Here's another example of this souvenir piece but this time 'France' is etched onto the scroll. I've posted several detailed shots so you can get a better idea as to manufacturing

Default U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Good afternoon to all from the wilds of Minnesota. All this warm weather we've been having (a couple of degrees above freezing...) has me wanting to share a little bit of my Air Service insignia collection with the forum.

For the most part, it is centered around the Air Service during WWI. As you will quickly notice though, there are a handful of pieces that date to WWII. There's even an Imperial Air Service device in the lot. Can you spot it???

You will see many unusual & undocumented examples here. Of particular note is the insignia set located between the Captain's bars. Every piece, including the bars, is marked J.R. Gaunt, England.

I should also point out the unusual disc located in the 4th row, second from right. That is most likely a one-of, 'field made' piece. Strange to say it measures your standard dimensions for a collar disc (1").

I have two scans to post so stay tuned...

Enjoy!

-Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

Default Re: U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

More examples of Air Service enlisted & officer insignia. I'll start off first with an overall shot & then crop certain sections to maximize detail. I realize it wasn't some of my best work when it comes to taking pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection 

There's even an Imperial Air Service device in the lot. Can you spot it???
    Uhhhhh...like....yea. But I won't give it away. BTW Chucky, when is that Enlisted Aviator metal wing (probably fake anyway) going to come live with me...buddy...pal...friend
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A detailed shot of Officer collar insignia. The first piece appears to be fire bronze . If my memory serves me correctly, a few of these are also marked "J.R. Gaunt, England".

The piece with the wings high on center are French made.

The first pattern winged globe piece to its right has the device prongs wrapped around the torch post. Usually, these prongs were snipped & then the silver device was applied. It was also common to punch holes in the signal flags & then push the prongs through thereby adding yet another attachment method.

-Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

I need that 'winged globe" for ol' Bill Doran's tunic! Stellar collection my friend!!!!

Some enlisted discs. The piece third from right was manufactured by a company in Utica, NY & is marked as such on the reverse. My best guess is this design was manufactured towards the end of the war & quite possibly a few years after.

The last three pieces are, in my humble opinion, the rarest of the bunch. The first one has a finely detailed winged prop separately applied to an enlisted Signal Corps disc. Pinback with standard open catch (as opposed to the European wire catch design).

The next one has a wing (not a winged prop!) finely applied to the crossed signal flags design. This example is extremely rare. I know of one other in existence...

The last disc has been associated with the pre-war 1st Aero Squadron of the New York National Guard. For all those who have Campbell's book on Aviation badges & insignia, it is example #10 which is documented on pages 35-37. Terry, I will add yours next

Some miscellaneous items....

The bracelet I believe is a post WWI sweetheart piece. There are two sets of initials carved into the front. The US winged prop pin below that was acquired from the Lt. Eugene McCubbin estate (via Ebay). McCubbin served with the 95th & 27th pursuit squadrons. The US winged globe pin to the right of that appears to be a tie clip or something along those lines. The French Aviator lapel pin may be Lafayette Escadrille related. I could see an American aviator wearing that on his lapel to denote his service in that famed squadron. I can also see a French aviator doing the same...
    The enlisted aviator disc is a reproduction. The 29th Division DI you see to the right, I have been able to identify as belonging to the 104th Observation Squadron of the Maryland National Guard. It was the first post-WWI unit to be equipped with its own aircraft (Curtiss JN-4 Jennies) which were flown until 1923. This unit would later be mobilized as the 104th Fighter Squadron on February 3, 1941. It flew anti-submarine missions along the New Jersey coast during WWII. In October of 1942, the unit was inactivated & its personnel transferred to the 517th Bomb Squadron. What I have written here was a brief excerpt from their history courtesy of wikipedia. Here is the link:104th Fighter Squadron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That large winged prop is WWI vintage, though it was a popular design used as a sweetheart piece during WWII.

As always, nice stuff, Mr. Thomas...

DJ

Nice write up Chuck, thanks. This is really a neat looking piece:
    Attached Images Attached Images U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Good eyes, my friend. That one actually came from a Canadian source. You can imagine I was biting my nails, wondering if it would get snagged up at Customs or just lost in the mail. It's not like it had to go very far to go

Dennis-
    Thanks! Your comments are always very welcomed.

I almost forgot...

Steve-

OMG!

Are you still after that enlisted wing?

One another note, what's that I see below the pin you pointed out? Hmmm???

Tom-
    When I get a matching single, you'll be the first to know. And thanks for your comments. Hope all is well on your end.

-Chuck

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Nice write up Chuck, thanks. This is really a neat looking piece:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast