Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

Article about: This wing is by far, the ugliest, ill-proportioned French made wing I have ever seen. I normally don't like to discuss what I paid for an item, but in this case, I will divulge...\\$39.95 on e

Default Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

This wing is by far, the ugliest, ill-proportioned French made wing I have ever seen. I normally don't like to discuss what I paid for an item, but in this case, I will divulge...$39.95 on ebay. At first glance with the poor photos provided, it was easy to see why I was the only bidder. But once I cleaned up and enlarged the seller's photos, I saw a very characteristic element that put any concerns to rest.

The construction of this wing is just like the example on my Wingate uniform. His uniform was tailored in Tours, France, down the road from Issoudun where he was an instructor. The incorporation of tiny silver sequin-like washers forming the "feathers" on each wing, seems to be unique to a tailor in Tours.

This wing is large, measuring 3 7/16 in. wide. Including the washers, I count 6 types of bullion. What is most perplexing is the color, it appears to be in gold. Additionally, the shield appears to have been constructed around the 'US' collar insignia - which is firmly embedded in the thread work. I have placed the ugly duckling wing above the Wingate example for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...  
    Last edited by Steven M; 09-04-2009 at 04:32 AM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Ugliest Original WWI French Wing Ever...

The reverse. The shield has been affixed separately over the wings themselves, and is very thick.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Upper portion of the shield. It appears to have been made with a type of wire mesh screen. This same material is was also incorporated into the shield of the Wingate wing.
    Last edited by Steven M; 09-04-2009 at 03:52 AM.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Lower portion of the shield.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The detail here is incredible. Note the side protrusions on each side of the shield. Silver washers were placed within...very fine hand work.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Wing "feathering" detail.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Lastly, a side by side comparison of the two wings, demonstrating the similarities in construction and technique. The construction is absolutely correct and what I have encountered in French examples. The originality is unmistakable, but the reason for the gold color is a mystery to me. I had thought that perhaps it was stained from cigar or cigarette smoking, but I don't think so, they definitely look gold. I know that stateside instructors wore a small gold wing on their lower right cuff, but there is no mention in any reference that I have read which discloses any references or examples of any type of gold wing for personnel serving overseas. Nonetheless, here it is...it is a real head scratcher...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

Come on guys, 60 views and no comments? I don't bite...I promise.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

One last try before I let this thread slip into oblivion ...any other wing collectors ever encountered anything like this???

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

iron cross
    ?

Hi Steven I do notice the poor difference of these two wings and I am sorry no one who knows more about these has commented.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast