Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet

Article about: If you havn't figured it out yet I like flight helmets! This is a Vietnam period Navy flight helmet that had been through the wringer and I have been working on it for about two years now as

Default USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet

If you havn't figured it out yet I like flight helmets! This is a Vietnam period Navy flight helmet that had been through the wringer and I have been working on it for about two years now as parts become available. The wiring is jury rigged so I could make sure the internal wiring was operational. I need a couple of more period connectors and it will be good to go!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet   USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet  

USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet   USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet  

USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet  

JGOOD
    ?

Default Re: USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet

Hi Gary, this is a USAF HGU-22 helmet outfitted with a Dual Visor Kit and boom mic. You can tell by the USAF com setup by the ties on the side and the tan edge roll on the helmet--1970's to late 80's vintage. If you want to confirm it, if the actual receivers are labeled H-143 its air force, H-87 receivers are Navy-they are different amps. The HGU-45 is a navy helmet which has a similar visor setup but has a a poured liner-not styrofoam, different comunications secured by Velcro, and a black leather edge roll. The mask is a "quick don" MBU-5 commonly used by C-130 and transport pilots in USAF. Check out the following links... HGU-2/P, HGU-2A/P and HGU-26/P helmets US Military Aviation - Flight Helmets

Default Re: USN HGU-45/P Flight Helmet

Hi, Gary !

Regardless of the era that it is from, I like it. Collecting flight helmets is an interesting field,
    with so many different types of oxygen masks, mics, receivers, equipment, etc.

I would assume that it is missing it's lining, if all one can see on the inside
    are glue or tape marks, or is it just lacking some padding ?

( I checked out your public profile, hoping to see an album featuring nothing but
    flight helmets from all eras, but there was none...........! )

Please post more from your collection, and also please show us the progress
    as you refurbish this one........!
    Regards,

Steve.