Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet

Article about: by f100zardoz great photo...it looks hot there!! Were you there during tet? Got in-country right at the end of Tet, the oil storage tanks outside Siagon were still burning when I made my fir

Default Re: Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet

Quote by Steven M View Post
    ...I can't wait for the reply from Major Morris on this one...

The Major told me that he had socks older than I in reply to a comment I made about my own age. Let's also not forget that we are talking about a man who says he puts pictures of himself in the cabinet to acsre away roaches and mice...
    Steve and Ty,

I didn't see that comment but if Rocky said that he probably knew what he was talking about. I think I might have told you that I was visiting the museum at Ft. Rucker about 20 years ago. I was looking at a C-Model Huey. It was a magnificant aircraft and when I first flew it into combat I thought it was the greatest thing since popcorn. A bunch of WOC's (Warrant Officer Candidates) came up behind me and I overheard one of them say "Can you believe that people used to fly those crates" At that moment I felt like a relic.

Terry

Quote by Ty Revelo View Post
    Uh Rocky,

Please be careful in your wording. You mention the helmet as a relic if the helmet is a relic you are also saying that anyone who had worn one of that period is a relic as well. In this case it would be Major Norris.

Sorry Terry, i know he meant no harm

rgds, Ty
    Ty,
    Thanks for looking out for me. But I am sure Rocky didn't mean anything and he is right, we are becoming relics, it comes with the territory. We all get there someday and when I try to get out of bed in the morning it dawns on me that I am in fact a relic..

Terry

f100zardoz
    ?

Bored? you must be joking! Thanks for spending the time to type all of this. I am an avid reader and have read many accounts of helicopter operations in Vietnam. To read stories directly from yourself is an absolute pleasure. I live in Ireland so Vietnam combat pilots are thin on the ground lol. Thanks Michael.

what a thread!!!
    I'm an helicopter pilot too and I spent 9 months in Fort Rucker,AL training with a lot of Vietnam Veterans...and tells you guys that there are the best of the best pilots in the world!!
    and the always have a story to tells you..I'm in Afghanistan right now and here the situation is not so happy for an helicopter pilot BUT this meke me always think about Vietnam pilots...

Ps: we used APH-4 Flight Helmet untill 2 or 3 years ago and is still a really good helmet!

Davide
    Above the best!

RockyW
    ?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Ty,
    Thanks for looking out for me. But I am sure Rocky didn't mean anything and he is right, we are becoming relics, it comes with the territory. We all get there someday and when I try to get out of bed in the morning it dawns on me that I am in fact a relic..

Terry
    Hi Terry, I am humbled reading your posts and understanding some of your service history - reminds me of some of the things I read in 'Chickenhawk'. Fantastic to hear first hand accounts (for the first time), and thanks for being good-humoured - use of 'relic' wasn't a comment on you. I have enormous respect for anyone who chooses to risk everything for freedom and their country.

There are two books which educated me on flight helmets - 'Jet Age Flight Helmets' by Alan R Wise & Michael S. Breuninger, and 'US Helicopter Pilot in Vietnam', Osprey by Gordon Rottman. If any of the posters here are interested in the subject, I would recommend them. However, there is no substitute for real knowledge - and Terry you've given a great insight into their real application.

Terry, is it true that many crew got locals to paint their flight helmets with their own designs and insignia?

Michael, thanks for sharing your site - you've done a great job on the Vulcan seat and that is one enviable (and valuable) flight helmet collection. The NVG gear is particularly special and hard to get. What are your sources?

Rocky
    WARSTUFF.com

f100zardoz
    ?

Quote by RockyW View Post
    Hi Terry, I am humbled reading your posts and understanding some of your service history - reminds me of some of the things I read in 'Chickenhawk'. Fantastic to hear first hand accounts (for the first time), and thanks for being good-humoured - use of 'relic' wasn't a comment on you. I have enormous respect for anyone who chooses to risk everything for freedom and their country.

There are two books which educated me on flight helmets - 'Jet Age Flight Helmets' by Alan R Wise & Michael S. Breuninger, and 'US Helicopter Pilot in Vietnam', Osprey by Gordon Rottman. If any of the posters here are interested in the subject, I would recommend them. However, there is no substitute for real knowledge - and Terry you've given a great insight into their real application.

Terry, is it true that many crew got locals to paint their flight helmets with their own designs and insignia?

Michael, thanks for sharing your site - you've done a great job on the Vulcan seat and that is one enviable (and valuable) flight helmet collection. The NVG gear is particularly special and hard to get. What are your sources?

Rocky
    WARSTUFF.com
    over a many years i have collected these. All from the web but mainly ebay. If I buy one more I think my wife might just kill me.
    To me the helmets {like Terrys} all have an interesting past from the mig-25 helmet to the helmet flown from Yankee station in Vietnam. Collecting them brings all that history to life. If only the helmets could talk i'm sure they would keep us entertained for many hours. I am not a member of any other forum and joined this one when I seen Terrys flight helmet. I am glad I joined. Michael.

Quote by f100zardoz View Post
    Bored? you must be joking! Thanks for spending the time to type all of this. I am an avid reader and have read many accounts of helicopter operations in Vietnam. To read stories directly from yourself is an absolute pleasure. I live in Ireland so Vietnam combat pilots are thin on the ground lol. Thanks Michael.
    Michael,
    My wife's family are from Ireland. If you like vietnam pilot stories get the book "Life on the Line" by Phillip Chinnery. He is a british author and put out a book with stories from the pilots, Army, Airforce and Navy/Marines. There is a very short chapter in his book on a couple of my experience during the war.
    Terry

Quote by RockyW View Post

Rocky
    WARSTUFF.com
    Rocky,
    More often there was an enlisted "Artist" in the unit that did the art work on helmets. And your right about liberties taken with individual helmets. My first tour one of our pilots painted his helmet shinny black with the Maddod emblem on the back and his name across the front. That helmet is now in a museum in England. As for the logos and insignia, the maddogs seemed to change their pocket patch everytime a new platoon leader came along. I have seen about 5 variations of that patch. My Hawk helmet was painted by a crew chief in the unit while I was laying around after my crash in 71 just before I came home. And I suspect that some were painted by locals on the economy.
    Terry

Quote by drago1983 View Post
    what a thread!!!
    I'm an helicopter pilot too and I spent 9 months in Fort Rucker,AL training with a lot of Vietnam Veterans...and tells you guys that there are the best of the best pilots in the world!!
    and the always have a story to tells you..I'm in Afghanistan right now and here the situation is not so happy for an helicopter pilot BUT this meke me always think about Vietnam pilots...

Ps: we used APH-4 Flight Helmet untill 2 or 3 years ago and is still a really good helmet!

Davide
    Above the best!
    David,
    Love "Mother Rucker". Back during my time we took primary at Ft. Wolters, Texas and Advance at Ft. Rucker. I would not have your mission for all the money in the world, (well maybe for all the money). I spent some time in the middle east when I was with 10th SFG in 1965-66 and would not wish it on anyone, most miserable place on earth. I think thats where god gave the earth a enema. Vietnam was not much of a war but it was the only one we had at the time so we had to make do. We didn't have to contend with surfice to air missles ( until the last days of the war) and flying at 12,000 feet in those mountains like the pilots in Afganistan. My sympathy goes out for you guys. Our troops today are the best trained, best equipped and most magnificant soldiers the world has ever seen. Thank you for your service in these very trying times especially having to serve under whats his name, your CIC.
    Terry

This thread has turned out to be MOST incredible. Thank you sincerely for that account Major.

I hope the interest here in some small way serves as an indicator that there are many of us who admire the accomplishments of our warriors who fought in Vietnam. How unfortunate that those like the Major never received the accolade of what should have been a grateful nation when returning home.

I was born during this war, and to be honest, until i met Major Morris, my interest in the War itself was limited, but my admiration for the men and women has always been there.

The respect and admiration for those who sacrificed in this war is LONG overdue. No matter what "regime" is in power, the honor and dedication of all service members define what this nation is all about. Crooked and dishonorable politicians may take turns trying to negate our existence as a nation, but the one thing that is constant is the spirit of the patriotic warrior, ready to defend our people under any circumstances to ensure that never happens. Thank you all for the follow-up postings and contributions as well.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast