Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet

Article about: by f100zardoz great photo...it looks hot there!! Were you there during tet? Got in-country right at the end of Tet, the oil storage tanks outside Siagon were still burning when I made my fir

Default Re: Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet

Quote by Ty Revelo View Post
    Terry,

All who have an interest in this thread will suck you dry of your stories I hope you don't get tired of us. This is great!

rgds, Ty
    Ty,
    I usually spend my day curled up in the corner in the fetal position. So its refreshing to talk to you guys.

Terry

f100zardoz
    ?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Michael,
    The T.O.W. came along around 1975 in VN when the NVA brought tanks across the border. We didn't have them in 71-72. I spent a good bit of time in Cambodia in 68-69 and the biggest thing we encountered over there was the .52 Cal. My second tour found me flying deep into Laos during Lam Son 719 and on the many SF missions thereafter. We encountered 23mm, 37mm, 57mm, and 100mm AA weapons in Laos. I suspect the 57 and 100 mm were radar controlled, I know they brought a lot of our ships down. For me the main killer was the AK-47 and RPG, but I always flew the low bird on our hunter killer missions and not at altitude where the big guns played. A favorite tactic of the NVA was to have everyone in the unit just point their weapons straight up when they heard you coming and open fire, hoping you would flight right through it. This seemed to work rather well in that by the time you saw the tracers you were in fact in the middle of the fire storm and your only recourse was to haul butt and try to get out of it as quickly as possible. More often than not you might get hit once or twice and it would not cause any significant damage. On other occasions they might get lucky. I came back from Cambodia on fine day with over 90 holes in my aircraft, none of which struck a vital component or crew member, twas a lucky day.

The NVA gunners on the big guns along the Ho Chi Minh Trail seemed to have their sights set for "fast movers" (F-4's), as a result when we came putting along at 140 knots they would open up and the air burst would pop up out in front of us because they were leading us to much. Our 20mm had better range than their 23mm and when we would see the group of airburst we would just stay outside their burst pattern and look for the smoke in the jungle. Then lay waste to it with out 20mm. The only problem after a short period they learned what we were doing and started deploying their guns in triangles of 3 guns so they had you from several directions.

Its been a long time since anyone has asked questions about VN and other than telling "War Stories" with the old timers when we have our gatherings there doesn't seem to be an interest, so I don't mind at all.

Terry
    I remember reading that before the V ietnam war the standard n.a.t.o. procedure when infantry encountered enemy aircraft was to lay low and don't draw attention to yourself.
    After Vietnam this was changed to every body opening up on low flying aircraft if you thought you had a chance of hitting it.

This change of tactic was said to be a result of Vietnam studies on aircraft losses.

Thanks Terry about your kind words about us here now, but I'm still thinking Vietnam war was a total different story for an helicopter pilot...totally worst!
    As you said:
    Low fly and fast speed are life for us against small arms fire!

The machinegun in my pictures is a MG42/59 that is the NATO standard, is indeed a copy of the German MG42 with a minor rate of fire. A perfect selfprotection gun...is incredible how Germans created a such good weapon!

Thank you for your stories...a real taste of history!

Davide

Many thanks for sharing some of your experiences with us Sir! My dad was at Phu Bai at that time as well (he DEROS'd in 69) and the door gun you mention is some variant of the German MG3 which is a updated version of the MG42 rechambered in 7.62 NATO.

Cheers
    Gary
    Davide,
    Thanks much, I need to get back down to rucker, its only an hour and a half away. The Cobra was abeautiful aircraft but each and every model from the OH-13 to the Apache are unique and beautiful in their own way. I recall the C-Mod Huey with its 900 Shaft HP engine was really underpowered and had to be nursed through the sky to keep it flying but I loved it and was actually disappointed when they sent me to Cobra tran, that is until I flew it for the first time then the love affair was in full bloom. About the Chinook, I noticed in Vietnam that they make a beautiful mushroom cloud then they impact after taking fire. I always marveled at how those huge lumbering beast looked so graceful once they got off the ground. Very nice aircraft. Your door gun almost looks like a German MG-42, what is it?

Terry

Thumbs up Re: Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet

Hi Mate,

Vietnam does seem to be overlooked as war relics go, not good!!

Cool helmet though, respect goes out to you from the UK !!!

Cheers
    Gaz.

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Many thanks for sharing some of your experiences with us Sir! My dad was at Phu Bai at that time as well (he DEROS'd in 69) and the door gun you mention is some variant of the German MG3 which is a updated version of the MG42 rechambered in 7.62 NATO.

Cheers
    Gary
    Gary,
    Thanks, who was your dad serving with?
    Terry

Gary,
    Thanks, who was your dad serving with?
    Terry
    Hi Terry,

My dad did'nt do to any service on the 60's he prefered to "chill out" if you know what i mean, but my Grandad was in the RAF, Air reconnasance,also he was one of the guy's who photoed the horrors in Belson concentration camp in ww2, this had a big impact on my life!!!!!!!. I did a Bit in the R.C.T (Royal Corp Tranport).

Take it easy mate.

Cheers
    Gaz

f100zardoz
    ?

Michael,
    My wife's family are from Ireland. If you like vietnam pilot stories get the book "Life on the Line" by Phillip Chinnery. He is a british author and put out a book with stories from the pilots, Army, Airforce and Navy/Marines. There is a very short chapter in his book on a couple of my experience during the war.
    Terry
    Hi Terry, 'life on the line' just arrived I look forward to the read....There is a photo of youself in the book.Is that a six shooter for a side arm? Did you ever do any f.a.c. duties while you were over there. If so you must have seen some spectacular fast mover action?

Quote by f100zardoz View Post
    Hi Terry, 'life on the line' just arrived I look forward to the read....There is a photo of youself in the book.Is that a six shooter for a side arm? Did you ever do any f.a.c. duties while you were over there. If so you must have seen some spectacular fast mover action?
    zardoz,

Its a S&W 38 special Victory Mod. Standard issue to pilots. I carried mine in what we called a "Cheap Charlie" holster bought off the local economy. I preferred this rig because when I got into the seat I could slide it around and position the pistol between my legs. Provided a false sense of security so to speak. I flew gun ships so never did any FAC duties, however worked with them a lot "Covey" was the callsign of most of the FAC's we worked with. And yes I did see a good bit of "Fast Mover" action, especially in Laos. Enjoy the book, Phillip did a great job publishing it.

Attached are pictures of my "Cheap Charlie" holster rig. It has a pouch for a sharpening stone on the front, I removed the stone and used it to carry a couple small emergency pistol flares and a few extra rounds of ammo.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet   Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet  

Vietnam APH-4 Flight Helmet  

Quote by gaz232sqn View Post
    Hi Mate,

Vietnam does seem to be overlooked as war relics go, not good!!

Cool helmet though, respect goes out to you from the UK !!!

Cheers
    Gaz.
    Gaz,
    I suspect that Vietnam will come into its own in a few years. I remember just a few years ago you couldn't give away WW2 US military uniforms and equipment, now look at the prices they command. Vietnam has been over for 35 years now, the WW2 stuff is drying up so now's the time to collect VN while its available and cheap. In the 1970's you could buy WW1 tunics for $10 a set all over the place, and WW1 patches for a couple bucks. Now a WW1 enlisted tunic with nothing on it goes for $100 plus.
    Terry

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast