Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What happened to all the Spanish HE-111?

Article about: The main problem in 1969 was there wasnt the interest in saving these planes as there is now , i know the ME109 went to collectors and at the time of filming a couple of guys had come over t

Default Re: What happened to all the Spanish HE-111?

The main problem in 1969 was there wasnt the interest in saving these planes as there is now , i know the ME109 went to collectors and at the time of filming a couple of guys had come over to fly 2x ME109 back to the states and were asked to stay on and fly their planes in the film .The same thing happened after the 1964 film 633 Sqn the planes were broken up and burn ,If they only know what we know now ,Sad but at the time there were alot of these planes about

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Let's get some perspective on this. The aircraft in question were not Heinkels, they were copies built under licence by the Spanish company CASA who also produced versions of the Ju 52/3 Transport. Many were sold off in the late 60's, but the majority were scrapped as they had very serious corrosion problems, and no one was really interested in taking them on.

At least there are more than a dozen left today, albeit in different states of preservation, as there are CASA Ju 52/3's, some of which are still flying. Then consider for instance the Dornier Do17 that was used in vast numbers during the Battle of Britain and all other theatres of the war, not a single one of those is preserved anywhere. Yes, there's one lying out on the Goodwin Sands, but that has yet to be recovered, and even then may not be done so successfully.

So agreed, it's a shame, but when one considers there is not a single example of say, a Stirling or Whitley to name just two, it could be a lot worse.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

As Ned says it's a shame, but at the end of the day it's not as if they are "real" HE 111s. It would be nice to still see one airworthy though.
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

After watching that Video Ben put up I know now why I always wanted to be a fighter pilot ,I still do.

Martin

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    So agreed, it's a shame, but when one considers there is not a single example of say, a Stirling or Whitley to name just two, it could be a lot worse.
    That really does put things into perspective, I totaly agree.

Benvk and nick many thanks for the links.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12