Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

World War 1 flight helmet query

Article about: Can someone verify for me what nationality this flight helmet may have been? I've been told it was WW1 but finding any pics in books has been futile so far. It is a size 15, I believe, which

jfrye
    ?

Default World War 1 flight helmet query

Can someone verify for me what nationality this flight helmet may have been? I've been told it was WW1 but finding any pics in books has been futile so far. It is a size 15, I believe, which is quite small. Anything that can be learned about it would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 1 flight helmet query  

Default Re: World War 1 flight helmet query

Quote by jfrye View Post
    Can someone verify for me what nationality this flight helmet may have been? I've been told it was WW1 but finding any pics in books has been futile so far. It is a size 15, I believe, which is quite small. Anything that can be learned about it would be greatly appreciated.
    jfrye,
    Nice helmet but I don't think its aviation, looks more like a currier, motor cycle or tanker helmet. Most like Russian or one of the Balkan countries.
    I have researched all my references to aviation helmets and cannot find anything that looks like this one. Good luck in your hunt, I am sure something will pop up.
    Terry

jfrye
    ?

Terry, I want to thank you for taking the time to research the leather helmet I posted. I put off getting back to you because I was waiting to go to the Ohio Valley Military Society show in Wilmington, OH (June 18-19). It was my first time there and I got several opinions on what I have, but finally I met someone who could positively ID it. I have since verified it on-line. It is a Swedish tanker helmet - World War II era. I am greatly disappointed and will try to sell it although I will undoubtedly lose money on it considering a lack of interest in Swedish militaria. I hope this forum will set the record straight for other seekers. This is a great site considering there is so little on WW I aviation gear available. Thanks again, Jon

Hi Jon, thank you for the update. Sorry it did not work out for you. But the info here will now be useful.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Jon,
    Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations. I know how that is when you think you have a very scarce item and it turns up to be something other. We've all been there and I suspect some more than others. Its still a neat looking helmet. Good luck in your future hunts.

Terry