Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?

Article about: Interesting stuff. Could it be some sort of substation for the airfield I wonder? Considering the barbed wire and the " Danger electric cables" signs it could be the case. The site

Default Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?

Hello all

Yesterday I was given the opportunity to visit a friends home in the Midlands (UK) which once stood within the grounds of a second world war airfield. The airfield was used for technical training during the war.

The house sits within a large amount of land which is within a wooded area at the top of a lane (about 1000 meters from airfield center) and within the grounds there are numerous temporary brick structures.

The land owner was told that the RAF commandeered the house and grounds, filling a lake which was within the gardens with concrete and built this site ontop! A road loops all around the site and amongst the brick buildings, many of which have since collapsed.

My initial thought is that it may have been the airfields bomb store but I am unable to find any examples of structures like this and would all airfields have had a bomb store built despite not being home to an operational bomber force?

If anybody can shed any light on what the site may have been I would be most grateful! Unfortunately I didn't have a camera on me but I am familiar with 3D software so I quickly made a 3D model which shows the type of structure Im talking about.

Amongst the site were what appear to be a number of WW2 storage buildings, fairly large with solid concrete roofing (now collapsed) and what I presume are 3 air raid shelters randomly positioned around the area. The shelters are just like Stanton type shelters I have seen at other airfields except that they are larger and more cubic in shape.

The main structures found (I would guess there are about 15 of them) are smaller brick buildings that didn't appear to have roofs. They are set out in a grid across the site and look like storage of some sort. They are about 4 foot in height today and two slim entrances cut into them opposite each other. The entrances of the structures align.

Thanks!

Ash

Default Re: Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?

Not positive, but I would hazard a quess that they were ammo or fuel storage bunkers.

Terry

Ash.

If this was an RAF airfield then you can order a plan of the airfield from the RAF museum web site for a very small cost. This will show all the original buildings with a key explaining their functions.

Steve

Cheers guys

They are certainly storage buildings of some sort!

Steve - I have contacted the RAF museum and plans for the airfield are on the way! When I find out the purpose of this airfield site I will be sure to post it here.

?

There is a book out explaining the various designs of RAF buildings ... "BRITISH AIRFIELD BUILDINGS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR" ..

Some more details here :

Pillbox Study Group, Pillbox Books, Pillboxes, WW2.

Gary J.

Thanks Gary.

Will be sure to look into that.

Ash

They look like Ammo storage revetments, there would be earth banks around the outside.

I actually found one of those buildings whilst walking around WW2 RAF Milltown:

do these pics I took match?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?   Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?  

Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?   Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?  

Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?   Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?  

Hi Brataccas,

Well that is interesting. I had almost forgotten about these! And yes they match perfectly except that in the structures I discovered only the lower wall exists! Does anybody know what these buildings were used for?

Ash

forgot to say this building was protected by barb wire fencing and a gatepost:

only found one relic which I decided to leave alone incase considering part of milltown is still active.

dunno what the relic is but hope these pics will help in identifying these weird structures for you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?   Would anyone care to help identify airfield structures?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast