Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat

Article about: A couple pic of a French Pilot tunic and Hat. Nothing significant about this uniform, just a neat looking outfit. Trousers are matching horizan blue with a black stripe down the leg. (not pi

Default WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat

A couple pic of a French Pilot tunic and Hat. Nothing significant about this uniform, just a neat looking outfit. Trousers are matching horizan blue with a black stripe down the leg. (not pictured) I picked this up in a trade about 30 years ago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat   WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat  

WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat  

Default Re: WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat

I'll offer a highly technical response here: GOOD GRIEF!!!! That is beautiful...I feel like a kid in a candy store. Maybe some future postings of the pilot badge and that pretty round cloth "thingy" behind it could be forthcoming?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks for showing Hawk 3370, I recently post a WW1 Horizon Blue jacket and this eclipses mine!!!!. Lovely to see another variation.

Regards
    René

Quote by Steven M View Post
    I'll offer a highly technical response here: GOOD GRIEF!!!! That is beautiful...I feel like a kid in a candy store. Maybe some future postings of the pilot badge and that pretty round cloth "thingy" behind it could be forthcoming?
    Steve,
    The round cloth "thingy" is a roundel of a French plane. It was removed by Lt. George Mills, 68 Squadron RFC. Lt. Mills was killed in action near Amiens in 1917. This and the french pilots pistol were obtained from a defunct museum years ago. The roundel and pistol had been presented by Lt. Mills widow and is so documented on the back of the frame.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 French Pilot Tunic and Hat  

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    The round cloth "thingy" is a roundel of a French plane. It was removed by Lt. George Mills, 68 Squadron RFC. Lt. Mills was killed in action near Amiens in 1917. This and the french pilots pistol were obtained from a defunct museum years ago. The roundel and pistol had been presented by Lt. Mills widow and is so documented on the back of the frame.

Terry
    I thought it was French, I was being a wise guy... That is absolutely stellar in appearance, but the somber history of the piece and the fate of the pilot deserve reverence. Thank you for taking the time to post it. I enjoyed seeing it very much.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Major,

Any number on the French Pilot Badge...or any idea to whom the set belonged?

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Major,

Any number on the French Pilot Badge...or any idea to whom the set belonged?
    Steve,
    No unfortunately I have no idea who it belonged to. The badge is a thin stamped version with no number.
    Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    No unfortunately I have no idea who it belonged to. The badge is a thin stamped version with no number.
    Terry
    Thanks Major,

It is still a very nice representative example!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Terry,

Absolutely stellar! Your collection never ceases to amaze me!
    Do you have any French squadron pins or other French WWI items?

Thanks for sharing this with us!
    Tom

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Terry,

Absolutely stellar! Your collection never ceases to amaze me!
    Do you have any French squadron pins or other French WWI items?

Thanks for sharing this with us!
    Tom
    Tom,
    Thanks, this is my only French aviator material. At one time I embarked on a project of obtain a uniform from each of the armies involved in the great war. I managed to get this French, several British, and one German enlisted pilot. The British and German were all documented to the original pilots but the Frog not so lucky. I had a shot at an Italian and Austrian but being a young Lt with four kids and a wife to support couldn't see my way through to pick them up. Over the years I have thinned out my collection and this French and the Klienshred German are the only foreign aviator uniforms I still have.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast