Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross

Article about: Gents, I'm completely awestruck on seeing that Marine Corps Aviation Grouping and the effort put in to find out more about his Gunner. Well Done! Regards, Joel

Default WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross

Out of all the items in the museum, this is my favorite group. It is more rare the the Lafayette Flying Corps Group while not being nearly as well known. .......This is the grouping of Lt. Everett Brewer, Pilot, First Marine Aviation Force, A.E.F. , France 1918. There were only 134 Marine officers that had flying status in France. There were only 830 (+,-) enlisted Marines attached to the FMAF in 1918..............Lt. Everett Brewer and Gunnery Sgt. Harry B. Wershiner , while attached to the British 218 squadron, engaged a superior enemy force. Gunnery Sgt. was thrown from his seat two times during the fierce combat. Lt. Brewer had no idea to his gunner's plight as he was busy in his own right. Wershiner clung to the vertical stabilizer until the plane maintained a period of level flight and then clawed his way back to his position. In the end, Brewer was credited with two victories......... Both Brewer and Wershiner were critically wounded duriung the fight. Wershiner was shot through the lungs and Brewer was shot in his hip and leg. Despite these sever wounds, he returned his DH-9 to the Aerodrome. Both were awarded the Navy Cross for their actions as well as the Purple Heart. ...........Brewer is the 1st Marine Pilot to bring down an enemy plane in aerial combat......This group is incredibly full of Marine Aviation history!!

Hope you enjoy this one!

DJ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

Default Re: WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross

More.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

Brewer's Original Medals & Personal items... Click to enlarge photos

Newspaper Articles Back Home- Wershiner Survived his wounds!

Some more paper -

His WW2 Service

Wershiner clung to the vertical stabilizer until the plane maintained a period of level flight and then clawed his way back to his position.
    - not once, but twice...wow.

Dennis,

A stupendous historic group. I find the above so incredible, that it is hard to get my mind around this feat. This grouping is so stellar, I have a hard time choosing this or the Rheno LE group as my favorite. Thank you so much for posting these wonderful groupings over the past few days!

BTW...to have the bullet in the group, that is just incredible...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    More.....
    Dennis,
    An absolutely wonderful group. And as you stated rarer than rare.
    OK that being said, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands for safe keeping. Just box it up and send it along. Sorry Steve I saw it first.
    Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Dennis,
    An absolutely wonderful group. And as you stated rarer than rare.
    OK that being said, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands for safe keeping. Just box it up and send it along. Sorry Steve I saw it first.
    Terry
    I guess I will have to "settle" for the Lafayette Escadrille group then...sigh.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I've had a few questions regarding the poster I had reproduced from the 5 x 7 print of the action where Wershiner was thrown from the plane. The 5 x 7 was sent to Brewer in 1942 with the below explanation. I think that this mural in now in the Marine Corps Museum. If anyone can confirm, I would be grateful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast