Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Colour Film of the RAF: "Night Bombers"

Article about: Hi Guys, some of you may well have seen this film before, but it is well worth watching again. I first saw it many many years ago before it was officially re-released and was really impresse

Default WW2 Colour Film of the RAF: "Night Bombers"

Hi Guys, some of you may well have seen this film before, but it is well worth watching again. I first saw it many many years ago before it was officially re-released and was really impressed by it.

The film was shot in colour in 1943. There are no actors involved. Only the servicemen use false names for the film. The base was RAF Hemswell in Lincolnshire. The site is still open and is now an Antiques centre. The footage was shot on a real raid over Germany.

The film lasts 59 mins, and you can watch it for free here. There is no software to download, so get a drink and sit back and enjoy:

Night Bombers Video Documentary at FactualTV

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: WW2 Colour Film of the RAF: "Night Bombers"

Hi Ade,

Just watched that with the required couple of cold ones!! Really interesting colour footage of Bomber Command in action.....that's gotta be rare!!!

Thought i'd add a bit more info on the stars of the film:

The Lancs are B1's coded 'TC' for 170 sqn RAF. They operated from Hemswell from November '44 until November '45, only operating 'heavies' for 6 months. In 63 days flying, they completed 980 operational sorties for the loss of 13 aircraft and 62 aircrew killed. Their final combat mission was to the SS barracks at Bercteshgaden on the 25th of April '45.

I've included a couple of pic's showing the squadron badge, motto, "To see but not be seen", and the present day memorial to 170 at Hemswell.

Kind Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Colour Film of the RAF: "Night Bombers"  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Colour Film of the RAF: "Night Bombers" 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned. Now your post confirms something. The film is advertised as being made in '43, but I had read it might have been done in early 1945.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks Ned. Now your post confirms something. The film is advertised as being made in '43, but I had read it might have been done in early 1945.

Cheers, Ade.
    Evening Ade,

That's a bit strange!! i've had this info on 170 tucked away since i was a teenager! I'm surprised that the film is apparently quoted as made in '43.

This is what i've got, and as far as i know, accurate.

The squadron was formed at Weston Zoyland, Somerset on the 15 th of June 1942 as an Army co-operation squadron flying P51-B Mustangs.The colour of the ostrich plumes in the squadron badge of blue,red and blue signify the Guards Armoured Division, for whom the squadron was originally set up to aid in the FOB's/Recon department.

The squadron was disbanded on the 15th of January '44, and then reformed exactly 9 months later on the 15th October '44 at Kelstern, Lincolnshire as a heavy bomber squadron. Within days, they re-located to Dunholme Lodge until they eventually came to roost at Hemswell on the 29th of November '44 until the end of the war. After the Bercteschgaden raid ,at the end of the war, they participated in 'Operation Manna' to feed the dutch population. Their final op's involved flying POW's back from Italy.

For clarification, 170 flew their first combat mission as a (Lancaster) heavy bomber squadron on the night of 19/20th of October'44 from Kelstern with a limited strength of 12 aircraft, target, Stuttgart. Therefore, the '43 date is bogus.

Hope this helps, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

It certainly does. Thanks!

Cheers, Ade.

How do you find this stuff Ade??? Its fantastic, I've just watched it and loved the bit where the guy flicks ash into his cup of tea without realising, and then drinks it nice touch, and the quality is great too, although they do state that its 1944, not 1943, but is it 1945

No, a good film worthy of watching more than once, thanks