Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons

Article about: Here's one for the WWI wing collector. A very unusual set of overseas 'stripes' with a nice set of bullion wings at the base. There's clear evidence it was once sewn to a uniform sleeve. I'v

Default WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons

Here's one for the WWI wing collector. A very unusual set of overseas 'stripes' with a nice set of bullion wings at the base. There's clear evidence it was once sewn to a uniform sleeve. I've never seen its likeness before & I was wondering if some of our wing experts out there have. I look forward to your comments.
    -Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons   WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons  

Attached Images Attached Images WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons  WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons 

Default Re: WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons

Very unusual! I have never seen this pattern before either, but I like the general look of this one. It will be interesting to find out more.

Thanks for showing them.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: WWI Bullion Wing OS Chevrons

Ade-
    My sincere apologies for taking so long to reply. Thank you for your interest in these chevrons.

I have additional information which may shed a little light as to its origin. It has been suggested that these could have been a wartime/overseas version of the flight instructor wing. In the postwar years, it was worn on the lower right sleeve but in a much more simpler design.

For all of those members that have period Air Service photos in their collections, please take a closer look at any OS chevrons & let me know if you by chance spot these wings in wear. Maybe a long shot, but I am not exactly a pessimist either. Stranger things have happened...

-Chuck