Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWI flight gear question

Article about: Does anyone know which Meyrowitz Luxor goggle model numbers were used by WWI aviation personel. I just picked up a set of No 6's in the case. I have a set of No.3's already. I tried the inte

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

Default WWI flight gear question

Does anyone know which Meyrowitz Luxor goggle model numbers were used by WWI aviation personel. I just picked up a set of No 6's in the case. I have a set of No.3's already. I tried the internet with no luck. Thought someone might have an ideas as to the period these were from.. all the best Paul

Default Re: WWI flight gear question

I wish I could help but from experience posting some photos is always a good thing!

Cheers
    John

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

Found this today, for future reference.. paul

These Meyrowitz flying goggles were furnished by the Bureau of Aircraft Production to World War I military aviators as part of their standard flying equipment.

Transferred from the War Department, Bureau of Aircraft Production

Manufacturer: E. B. Meyrowitz

Country of Origin: United States of America

Dimensions:
    Overall: 2in. x 8in. x 1in. (5.08 x 20.32 x 2.54cm)

Materials:
    Case: Aluminum Frame: Chrome Steel Lenses: Glass Eye Padding: Natural Rubber Strap: Elastic

Physical Description:
    United States Army Air Service (USAAS) flying goggles; chrome steel frames with clear glass lenses; one lens cracked and brittle natural rubber eye pads; khaki colored elastic adjustable strap; aluminum case.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI flight gear question  

Thanks for posting the photos! As they say a phot is worth a thousand words!

Cheers
    John

just came upon this thread,and i would like to add to skyspy12thaero's
    Great Information....these photo's are from... VINTAGE FLYING HELMETS AVIATION HEADGEAR BEFORE THE JET AGE...BY MICK J. PRODGER.....a must have book for the collector of aviation gear.
    Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI flight gear question   WWI flight gear question  

WWI flight gear question   WWI flight gear question  

WWI flight gear question  

Thanks for posting the info on the goggles, great information. I have not really explored the specifics of the types of flight gear used by WWI aviators aside from what I know about the pieces which are included in my groupings, so this is very helpful.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]