Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Flight gear refrence

Article about: Since there is so little on the net about WWI flight gear I thought I'd take some photos of what I have left in my helmet and goggle collection and if others would like to add examples pleas

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

Default WWI Flight gear refrence

Since there is so little on the net about WWI flight gear I thought I'd take some photos of what I have left in my helmet and goggle collection and if others would like to add examples please feel free.. Paul

My first flight helmet came with the uniform and items to the armament officer of the 96th AS. This helmet was locally produced and it is the type seen in all the photos of the 96th Aero.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Flight gear refrence   WWI Flight gear refrence  

WWI Flight gear refrence   WWI Flight gear refrence  

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

Default Re: WWI Flight gear refrence

The second helmet shown was in the effects of a 90th Aero ground crew member. This is a well worn helmet, most likely Brit in origin, although no markings.

The helmet has a series of buckles on it and is lined with chamois leather.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Flight gear refrence   WWI Flight gear refrence  

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

English made flight helmet from observer of the 91st Aero Squadron.
    This English made example is wool and fur lined, with the tailor label in the crown. Has the remnants of a painted cocade on the front and the mans name painted on the rear.

WWI Flight gear refrence  
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI Flight gear refrence 

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

This is the last of my flight helmets, this one is a US produced helmet. It was one of the standard issue items and one of the most common examples encountered. This has a chamois lining and felt around the neck area. It has 2 snap flaps covering the ears, which you see rolled up commonly. It is in near mint condition and has a faint acceptance stamp on the rear nape area. It also has a faint name and Melon France inked on the reverse.

Paul

Paul, check out this earlier thread.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...uipment-16513/

jfrye
    ?

Paul,
    Recently I acquired a pair of French goggles which are in fairly nice condition other than a crack across the right lens. I got a reasonably good deal on it and included was an American flight helmet which was in rather rough condition. I would never have bought the helmet alone, but as it was a set, and considering its condition (and consequently its lack of much value as it stands), I decided to try to restore it mainly for display purposes. About 45 % of the stitching was loose so I painstakingly spent several hours resewing it by hand and I believe it came out quite nice, if I do say so. The leather is rather worn but very solid and pliable. However, the chin strap is missing, so I would like to try to find some old leather and have one made to specs. At first I was unable to identify the helmet and then I realized that it is the standard issue summer helmet that you display above and Prodger shows two examples of on pg. 143. I failed to recognize it at first because mine has no bill (visor). Since I would like to restore it for display, it brings up two questions: 1). Would you be able to give me the dimensions of the chin strap, i.e. the length, width, and thickness? I believe it must be about 16-17 inches long, but I would like to be a bit more exact. 2). Assuming I can ever find some matching leather and fabric, I would also like to eventually reconstruct the bill. Since the stitching is gone across most of the front (about an inch remains), it is easy to see a small slice of the original bill that was cut off. Were there any known cases where pilots had them removed? My theory is that this pilot returned home after the war, started a family and had some kids who wore it playing "barnstormer", which would explain its worn condition and loss of parts. Sorry this is so long but you guys are the only ones who can answer my restoration questions. Thanks for your help. Jon

Hello,
    Im not a military collector but I came across this and thought it was a football helmet. Can anyone tell me if this is a flight helmet from wwI. It was made by a sporting goods manufacturer Alex Taylor of New york. Any info with be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Joel

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi Joel, I think this is a sports helmet.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum!