Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms

Article about: A recent ebay pickup. Anyone here sprechen sie French? What I can make out it his name of course, CdG w/two palms, and that he was killed in Sept. of 1918. Reading the casualty card informat

Arrow WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms

A recent ebay pickup. Anyone here sprechen sie French?

What I can make out it his name of course, CdG w/two palms, and that he was killed in Sept. of 1918. Reading the casualty card information is tough, and I can't make out the Escadrille number for sure but it looks like 152.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms   WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms  

WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms   WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms  

Attached Images Attached Images WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms 
    Last edited by Steven M; 02-14-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: WWI KIA French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms

Steve-

Great photo. It looks like there's some conflicting information as to a DOD. The note below the image states that he died 30 September 1918 but the second page of that document lists his DOD as 26 September 1918.
    Here's what else I read on the same document page :

Name: Charles Bettend
    Corps: L' ..... d'Aviation Esc[adrille] de 62

His pilot certificate number was 86 (real early!) which he received in 1908

He died for France on (Mort por la France le) 26 September 1918. Cause of death seems to have been an accident

The certificate was signed 29 September 1918

-Chuck

Default Re: WWI KIA French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms

Chuck,

Many thanks buddy!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms

You bet, Steve. I cross-checked my limited resources on French Escadrilles but did not find a #62. Maybe someone else can fill in that gap...
    What about Bartlett's book? Doesn't that contain a comprehensive list of the various Escadrilles with short bios on each?

-Chuck

Default Re: WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms

under the pic it's also mention his motto was (hope it's what you call that in english)
    "Always higher "

I cross-checked my limited resources on French Escadrilles but did not find a #62. Maybe someone else can fill in that gap...
    What about Bartlett's book? Doesn't that contain a comprehensive list of the various Escadrilles with short bios on each?
    I don't have that book Chuck, maybe someone who does will see the posting...
    under the pic it's also mention his motto was (hope it's what you call that in english)
    "Always higher "
    Thanks Frenchy, makes sense to me!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hmmmmmm...I thought that there would be a little more interest in this. Oh well, in any case, here are some close up shots of the stickpin affixed through the board.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms   WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms  

WWI KIA? French Pilot, Marichal-des-Logis Charles Bettend, Croix de Guerre w/2 Palms  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Hi Steve, just a small bit of info from the book 'French air service war chronology' Bettend is listed as being KIA on the 24th sept 1918, and also gives his unit as CRP/SPA 462, CRP can be camp retranche paris=paris defence group, or centre de rassemblement des pilotes=centre for assembly of pilots, hope this helps a little, all the best,Willie.

He died in Dugny, north of Paris, one hospital ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/