Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Sweetheart Wings

Article about: Gary................................WOW........... ............DAVE H

Default WWI Sweetheart Wings

To my Gumba 'Steve M', this post is for you

I finally got around to posting something to this fascinating section of the forum. Thank you for all your hard work in advocating WWI U.S. Aviation history.

Here is a set of what is commonly referred to as 'Sweetheart' wings which would have been worn by relatives back in the States to commemorate their loved ones service in that branch of the military. This is not to say an American Aviator did not purchase this set while serving overseas to wear on his OS cap.

It is a finely crafted jeweler piece stamped STERLING on the reverse & with a heavy duty drop-in clasp. These 'wings' measure 1.75" (4.5cm) across.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Sweetheart Wings   WWI Sweetheart Wings  

WWI Sweetheart Wings  

Default Re: WWI Sweetheart Wings

Thanks Chucky. These are beautiful. I love the hardware on them; just like a full sized example. I can think of only one other person that I would like to see own them...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I thought you'd like 'em Steve (Wink...Wink...). These are truly a finely crafted set with even more detail than I could capture with my camera. I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon. The Wife really likes them...

Quote by CThomas View Post
    ...The Wife really likes them...
    No, not going to go there...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

To my Gumba 'Steve M', this post is for you

I finally got around to posting something to this fascinating section of the forum. Thank you for all your hard work in advocating WWI U.S. Aviation history.

Here is a set of what is commonly referred to as 'Sweetheart' wings which would have been worn by relatives back in the States to commemorate their loved ones service in that branch of the military. This is not to say an American Aviator did not purchase this set while serving overseas to wear on his OS cap.

It is a finely crafted jeweler piece stamped STERLING on the reverse & with a heavy duty drop-in clasp. These 'wings' measure 1.75" (4.5cm) across.
    CThomas,
    Very nice set of wings. These were as stated sometimes worn on the hats but were primarily produced for the sweetheart market. I have a couple US sweetheart wings but this one is my favorite. It is RFC, measures 3 1/4" and all stones are set in solid gold.
    Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Sweetheart Wings  

Terry-
    I can see why! That is a stunning piece. Thank you for sharing it with me & with the rest of the forum. If you get a chance, would you mind posting a scan of the reverse? I'd like to see the hardware on back.
    Thanks again.
    -Chuck

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    CThomas,
    Very nice set of wings. These were as stated sometimes worn on the hats but were primarily produced for the sweetheart market. I have a couple US sweetheart wings but this one is my favorite. It is RFC, measures 3 1/4" and all stones are set in solid gold.
    Terry

Terry-
    I can see why! That is a stunning piece. Thank you for sharing it with me & with the rest of the forum. If you get a chance, would you mind posting a scan of the reverse? I'd like to see the hardware on back.
    Thanks again.
    -Chuck
    Here's a shot of the back, my camera is not the best in the world, acutally its the camera operator that is faulty but I blame it on the camera. I really like that sweetheart wing of yours. I had not seen that design before. The catch is a simple hook under.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Sweetheart Wings   WWI Sweetheart Wings  

Terry-
    It works well enough for me. Thanks!
    In regards to the camera shake...do you have a tripod that will work for that camera? If not, I don't think they're that expensive. I think one is essential when taking macro shots like this. I go one step further & use the timer setting so that I'm not touching the camera at all when the picture is taken. If I don't do this, then it seems inevitable that I'll get a certain amount of 'blur' around the edges, even with my high-end Cannon SLR camera.
    Thank you for your comments on this wing. It is also one of my favorites. I too have not seen a similar one before.

-Chuck

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Here's a shot of the back, my camera is not the best in the world, acutally its the camera operator that is faulty but I blame it on the camera. I really like that sweetheart wing of yours. I had not seen that design before. The catch is a simple hook under.

Would you consider this a sweet heart pin?,,,,daveh

WWI Sweetheart Wings  

Hi Daveh,

Yes I would! And a very nice one too! I have a few RFC sweethearts, one by Tiffany in gold I'll share later, but this is the 1918-1919 period RAF sweetheart I have. Very similar to yours Terry but the overall wing is silver plated brass, however the diamonds are actually real!

WWI Sweetheart Wings   WWI Sweetheart Wings  

WWI Sweetheart Wings  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast