Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Authentic German Flag? HELP!!

Article about: The first flag here is one I just acquired. But I have my doubts about it's authenticity. It lacks many of the same features I've seen on other German flags, such as markings (I'm not famili

Default Authentic German Flag? HELP!!

Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!

The first flag here is one I just acquired. But I have my doubts about it's authenticity. It lacks many of the same features I've seen on other German flags, such as markings (I'm not familiar with the marking it does have, and it does have what seems to be faded markings), I'm not sure of the size, but I've compared it to another of my German flags that's 75cm x 126cm. The material seems thin, and the design lacks the kind of crude printing the larger flag has. It seems too good, and at the same time forced to look old. Perhaps it's been washed, because there is what looks like faint markings (as mentioned). Over all I'm really not sure.
    regards,

Quote by Spectre View Post
    Authentic German Flag? HELP!!

The first flag here is one I just acquired. But I have my doubts about it's authenticity. It lacks many of the same features I've seen on other German flags, such as markings (I'm not familiar with the marking it does have, and it does have what seems to be faded markings), I'm not sure of the size, but I've compared it to another of my German flags that's 75cm x 126cm. The material seems thin, and the design lacks the kind of crude printing the larger flag has. It seems too good, and at the same time forced to look old. Perhaps it's been washed, because there is what looks like faint markings (as mentioned). Over all I'm really not sure.
    regards,
    Are you saying that the top flag in the above picture is the suspect one? If so I would tend to agree with you that it looks fresher than the lower one. Other flag meisters will comment.

Hello Specture welcome to the forum. Honestly I can understand your concerns but markings and fabric comparing one to another is not really conclusive. Materials yes and construction methods sure but two flags from roughly the same period can exhibit very different characteristics. If one was displayed outside exposed to the sun and elements I would expect it to be thinner from wind and natural abuse. Obviously there were millions of national flags produced so to expect them to be the same print style, stitching method etc is inconclusive. Thousands of firms would be producing these flags to meet demand so naturally differences can be found. Age and weathering is not always an indication of originality. One of my flags is minty fresh as though it left the factory yesterday and I have no doubt of it's originality, it was just probably never used sat tucked away all those years. It would be better to post just pictures of the flag you have concerns about as seeing the two together is confusing. Multiple pictures of the one in question will get you a conclusive answer I'm sure. Best regards.

BrianAuthentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!Authentic German Flag? HELP!!

Depending on their use, there were different qualities of the fabric.
    Construction methods and markings are one way to determine if original or not.
    I have some that appear to be almost "thread bare", and others which are more "plush".
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)