Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Beautifully Made Wooden Croatian Ustasha Cigarette Box

Article about: I don't buy alot of stuff these days, but when a unique or special item comes along, it's time to take a look at it. Here is a unique and very high quality made piece that I picked up recent

Default Beautifully Made Wooden Croatian Ustasha Cigarette Box

I don't buy alot of stuff these days, but when a unique or special item comes along, it's time to take a look at it. Here is a unique and very high quality made piece that I picked up recently. It is a very nicely made hand-carved wooden cigarette box that was made for a Croatian Ustashi Officer in the Lika region of Croatia during WWII. Certainly one of a kind, and I've never seen anything like it over the years, and Good Ustasha items rarely come onto the market, so I decided to acquire it. It should go nicely with my silver Bleiburg ring. The workmanship is superb.
    Beautifully Made Wooden Croatian Ustasha Cigarette BoxBeautifully Made Wooden Croatian Ustasha Cigarette BoxBeautifully Made Wooden Croatian Ustasha Cigarette BoxBeautifully Made Wooden Croatian Ustasha Cigarette Box
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

That is very nice. Great craftsmanship.

?

Looks like a keeper to me. Now you only need some German "Juno" cigarettes.

very nice.

Bad one.
    A bunch of stuff like these one, was built after WW2, mainly the Croatian immigrants, in the West.
    Basically boxes for cigarette, from the WW2 NDH period was made - mostly of metal, featuring Croatian wicker, and very rarely with the motif of the UstaĊĦa coat of arms.
    For me - post war item, similar with "Bleiburg" ring.

Regards
    Vedran

?

Whats a Bleiburg Ring?

Post-war souvenir, for Croatian immigrants.

Regards
    Vedran

The Bleiburg ring was dug on the site by diggers that were known and was taken from a pile of still uncleaned relics that had been excavated two days before. As for the cigarette box, it, too, was obtained from a person known to me personally. While there may, indeed, have been many tourist trinkets made post-war, these 2 items are not among them. The workmanship alone of the box tells a trained eye this. I haven't been in this collecting field for over half a century to buy tourist junk.
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The Bleiburg ring was dug on the site by diggers that were known and was taken from a pile of still uncleaned relics that had been excavated two days before. As for the cigarette box, it, too, was obtained from a person known to me personally. While there may, indeed, have been many tourist trinkets made post-war, these 2 items are not among them. The workmanship alone of the box tells a trained eye this. I haven't been in this collecting field for over half a century to buy tourist junk.
    I like this item and would like to believe it is authentic, but is it possible that Rancid66 may know a bit more about it given that it originates from his country....?????

If he would care to show us some identical items, I would be more than happy to take a look at them for him. The box shows age, handling, and a fine degree of skill and workmanship-as well as fine construction. The latch, alone, would not be found on simple cheap tourist junk. It is hardly a piece of tourist drek. Regardless of where Vedran was born, you Have to trust your sources or else you may as well abandon collecting altogether. When you find a source with integrity and reliability, in this hobby, you stick with them. Because a person is unfamiliar with an item, it is not a carte blanche to begin doubting and mocking it.
    William

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast