Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bulgarian bayonet

Article about: Hi Guys, looking for help identifying this rare Bulgarian bayonet

Default Bulgarian bayonet

Hi Guys, looking for help identifying this rare Bulgarian bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian bayonet   Bulgarian bayonet  

Bulgarian bayonet   Bulgarian bayonet  

Bulgarian bayonet   Bulgarian bayonet  

Any information would be greatly appreciated

?

This is believed to be a WW1 officer's knife, designed to replace the officer sabre, as the long sabre was not suitable for use in field conditions, especially in the trenches. Later /1930s/ these knives were used by the uniformed members of the Bulgarian Red Cross, with a Red Cross badge nailed on the handle. However this knife is quite a mystery, so far the only known period photos are of Red Cross members wearing it. But many examples have no holes on the wooden handle, which means these have not been with the Red Cross, so the WW1 origins are probably true.

Unfortunately your knife has badly shortened blade and the scabbard is from some other knife.

Hi thanks for the information, I got a bit more info there is the same one as mine
    in the military museum in Sofia, same Nickel-plated scabbard with a serial number on the scabbard
    like mine also the same cut down blade but no info on the knife, Next time I go when its free haha will take it with me to see if there is anybody who knows anything more, Very strange knife indeed

I admit my knowledge on Bulgarian knives is lacking but this looks like a cut down German dress bayonet with a lion head attached to the pommel?

Default Bulgarian bayonet

Yep its definitely Bulgarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian bayonet  

?

Always nice to see period photos . It certainly looks to have a cut down bayo blade that has a Solingen stamp and a strange looking manufacturers name , which i do not recognize .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

is the maker E & F Horster ?

Richie is correct - E&F Horster.........
    Regards,

Steve.