Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Decorations and uniforms of a Major in the XV Cossack Cavalry Corps

Article about: Hermann Historica German Orders and Collectibles 1919 onwards Some very rare and interesting lots for sale: Just one example is Lot 5773 with Est: 1500 Euros Decorations and uniforms of a Ma

Default Decorations and uniforms of a Major in the XV Cossack Cavalry Corps

Hermann Historica
    German Orders and Collectibles 1919 onwards

Some very rare and interesting lots for sale:

Just one example is Lot 5773 with Est: 1500 Euros

Born and raised in Croatia, this scion of a well-known noble family entered the cavalry in accordance with family tradition. The union between Austria and the German Reich and consequent reorganisation of the Bundesheer saw the merger of Dragoon Regiments 1 and 2 into Cavalry Regiment 11 of the Wehrmacht in Vienn Stockerau. The commander of the 2nd Detachment was the then Major von Pannwitz, who in 1942 despite considerable resistance from traditional circles in the Wehrmacht, and especially from the Reichsführer-SS, began to recruit volunteers from the Don, Terek and Kuban Cossack districts. These small, scratch bands proved successful and on 1 March 1943 the 1st Cossack Cavalry Division was established. Von Pannwitz justifiably sought cavalry officers for his staff who had experience and understanding in dealing with Slavic and Russian peoples. In the autumn of 1943 the division was relocated to Croatia to engage in anti-partisan operations. On 9 May the division surrendered to the 11th British Armoured Division, but on 27 May, after the agreement was broken, they were handed over to the Soviets and together with the German support staff and deported to Vorkuta in Siberia. In an expression of trust and confidence, von Pannwitz was elected the first non-Russian "Feldataman" or supreme commander of the Cossack armies, a position which before him had only been accorded to the tsarevitch. For this reason, his closest staff and members of the watch squadron wore a special oval sleeve badge with the Ataman´s sceptre in coloured embroidery between two shashkas on a light blue background. An important military historical estate of great rarity and near museum character, with uniform documentation of a unique symbiosis from the royal and imperial dragoons, disappeared in 1938, to simple Wehrmacht field tunics to the no less tradition-conscious Cossacks. The name of the Major may be made known to the buyer. Ostvolk Decoration for Bravery 1st Class in Silver with Swords Silver star body with inset gilt swords and an applied, finely enamelled (signs of usage) gilt medallion, the vertical attachment pin with fineness punch "900". Photos of officers on the staff of General Pannwitz show them wearing this extremely elegant decoration - an exclusive arbitrary act, or a gift for a small circle instead of the very simple award pieces. A large orders clasp with the Iron Cross 2nd Class of 1939, Ostvolk Decoration for Bravery 2nd Class in Silver with Swords, War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords of 1939, Wehrmacht Service Award for 4 Years, Commemorative Medal of 1 October 1938 with "Prager Burg" Clasp, Croatian Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir 3rd Class with Oak Leaves, and the Bulgarian Military Order for Bravery 4th Class. A thirteen-piece tailcoat chain, also with postwar decorations and a case for the Iron Cross 1st Class. Included are two clasps with miniature orders and a field orders clasp in the version without swastika.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Default Re: Decorations and uniforms of a Major in the XV Cossack Cavalry Corps

How do you find the photos of the uniform?

Edit

Forget it, i registered at HH

?

It is very interesting to see the white coloured ribbon on the Ostvolk medal. These are very hard to find, i have been looking for a long time. Extremly bad i cannot place any bids on this HH auction.

Oh well, there will always come another day and another auction

Are you going to bid on this Skorpion?

Quote by martinsuper View Post
    Are you going to bid on this Skorpion?
    No, not on this lot.

But I have my eye on another lot in the same auction
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

What did it sell for?

I am sick and tired of "Auction Houses". They have buyers commissions that are a joke, they won't allow you to look at past auctions and think that you need to "pay for information". And asking a question is impossible even thought that rape people with the amount they charge!

?

2400 euro+ all the other taxes.

Thanks. I will add it to my priceguide.