Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The German Stuka?

Article about: What a plane/bomber Just wondering if anyone knows if there is one that can fly? or has anyone in the past tried to get one that can fly again? Would be a great experiance to see eh?..

leelad03
    ?

Default The German Stuka?

What a plane/bomber

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is one that can fly? or has anyone in the past tried to get one that can fly again? Would be a great experiance to see eh?..

Default re: The German Stuka?

I dont think their is an airworthy Stuka.

I know they have pulled a few out of lakes etc and are on display.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

leelad03
    ?

Ahh there must of been so many, i know these days you think back and have a anger of why did they have to destroy everything lol but i suppose they didnt think about the future and musiums etc..... would of been great to see one fly or to find out if anyone are trying to do this with one maybe? I know that programme on tv that has a gang of guys rebuilding and fixing ww2 tanks....

?

I believe the Stuka at RAF Hendon could be made to fly but due to the rarity they refuse to attempt any airworthiness tests, which is sensible, but it would be nice to see one flying, I remember that i saw a very large r/c model with a wing span of 6-8 ft at Weston Super Mare and the owner had the plane diving and releasing a pyrotechnic bomb, he even attached wind sirens which sounded like the real thing, but something went wrong in a dive and it ploughed into the beach and exploded just like a real plane crashing, but the guy sat down and was openly weeping when i left!!

QUOTE:- I believe the Stuka at RAF Hendon could be made to fly but due to the rarity they refuse to attempt any airworthiness tests.

Hi Dave,

Yes, this is correct. During the filming of 'The Battle of Britain' in 1968, serious thought was given to using the Hendon Stuka for the Ventnor radar bombing scenes. At the time the Stuka was part of the Air Historic Branch's collection of German aircraft, and it was decided by them that the Ju 87 was too valuble to risk (It was unique at that point).

The cost of getting the aircraft airworthy would have been prohibitive, but they did get the engine running, and this was recorded for use on the films soundtrack. Next they bought 4 Percival Procters for conversion to 'lookalikes'. The work was carried out by Viv Bellamy and entailed a major redesign of the cockpit glazing, new rectangular tailplane, rear fuselage cut down and new centre section built to pass for the distinctive Stuka cranked wing.

The conversion was pretty convincing but, when flight tested by Bellamy, they did not fly well and were not used for filming. Their places were taken by large-scale radio controlled models which bombed the Ventnor film set costructed at The Mound near Dover.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here's a pic of one of the conversions, or 'Proctuka's' as they were known.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Stuka?  
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

When I was in army reserve on annual camp at an Irish Air Corps base. Another private thought he saw a Stuka in the hangar. If only, actually it was probably a DH Chipmunk which is broadly similar other than cranked wings and being quite small.

I think there may be one somewhere in the US being restored to flying condition. It would be great to see. I think our only chance is a relatively complete one being recovered from a Russian lake sometime. Or maybe a new build like the FW190s and Me262s.

Currently there are only 2 complete Stuka's in the world, the one at Hendon and a tropical version (Ju 87-B2?) at the Chicago Museum of Science and Technology. There were two 7/10 scale replicas built in the States in the 70's-80's, one crashed in 2000 and it's status is unknown, the other is still airworthy in Maine. There is also a full size replica in New Zealand that is able to taxi but not fly. Here's a couple of pic's of the Chicago and Hendon aircraft.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Stuka?  
    Attached Images Attached Images The German Stuka? 

I have family who live near Sinsheim Technik museum in Germany.

It has many German aircraft and armour on display, its a great day out if you are over that way.

Junkers Ju-87B. This rare Ju-87 Stuka was rescued from the sea bed of the bay near St. Tropez in France. It was rescued from a depth of 60 metres, where it sank after being shot down on 16 Aug 1944, while attacking the Allied invasion fleet. It belonged to the 4.StG77. The tail unit is missing and still rests at a depth of 100 meters in the Mediterranean Sea.
    Attached Images Attached Images The German Stuka?  The German Stuka? 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A JU 52 and He 111
    Attached Images Attached Images The German Stuka?  The German Stuka? 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast